Thread: A Newie

Beans

A Newie

I have just purchased UBANTU LINEX for beginners by Rickford Grant and installed the 6.06 Desktop yesterday. I cannot get an internet connection via my ADSL USB Pots Modem as UBUNTU does not acknowledge the modem being connected to the PC.
    Any suggestions out there. Someone please help.

Beans

Re: A Newie

USB is far from the ideal medium for network access, there are so many problems using USB modems compared using ethernet based solutions that some claim that USB could stand for Un Suitable for Broadband.
    If you have a modem that can connect both via USB and ethernet, you should use the ethernet connection. If you can get your hands on an ethernet modem or a router you will save yourself some trouble.

From this community doc.

First, I would upgrade to Ubuntu 7.10 or 8.04. They're the latest, though 8.04 has some new features and bugs that confuse those who are new to Linux, so it may be best to avoid for another month or so. 7.10 is tested and has my seal of approval. With an upgrade, your modem may "just work". Try it out.

Besides, you won't get much help from people if you're using a 2 year old version of Ubuntu.

Beans

Many thanks. If I download 7.10 on my laptop and tfr to a flash card and then to hard drive on my PC - how do I then upgrade my present version to 7.10?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Quote Originally Posted by RobLMc View Post
    Many thanks. If I download 7.10 on my laptop and tfr to a flash card and then to hard drive on my PC - how do I then upgrade my present version to 7.10?
    A fresh install would be better - there are versions in between 6.06 and 7.10. Personally I would go straight for 8.04.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I think you better download the 7.10 ALTERNATE ISO file, burn it to a CD and then do an upgrade.
    EDIT: or do a fresh install of 8.04 of course.

cheers
    Ubuntu 8.10
    Acer Aspire 5500Z 1GB RAM 1.70GHZ

anewguy is offline I Ubuntu, Therefore, I Am
    Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by RobLMc View Post
    I have just purchased UBANTU LINEX for beginners by Rickford Grant and installed the 6.06 Desktop yesterday. I cannot get an internet connection via my ADSL USB Pots Modem as UBUNTU does not acknowledge the modem being connected to the PC.
    Any suggestions out there. Someone please help.
    I need a little more information - do you have a ADSL modem connected DIRECTLY to your PC via a USB cable, or is it wireless and you are trying to use a wireless adapter via USB?

Thanks!

Beans

Yes I do have an ADSL modem connecting directly to my PC via a USB cable. No I am not trying to use a wireless adaptor via USB.
    Looking forward to any assistance you can give.

Beans

If I do an install from a burnt CD how does one do the upgrade and does the new installion overwrite the existing?