Thread: [SOLVED] Panasonic DMC-FX12 Photo camera

Beans

Exclamation [SOLVED] Panasonic DMC-FX12 Photo camera

Hello,

I installed Kubuntu Hardy for a good friend of mine. All works great, except one major thing not: his digital photo camera.

It's a Panasonic DMC-FX12. When I connect the camera it is recognized and I can choose between Digikam or opening it in Konqueror.

When opening in Konqueror it is mounted, but there is nothing in there.

When opening in Digikam it takes a while and it says it can't connect. It sees the amount of free and used space on the camera.

Please help?
    Last edited by jeroenvrp; May 24th, 2008 at 03:12 PM.

Beans

Re: Panasonic DMC-FX12 Photo camera

Just one more thing:

In Linux the camera display says: "Connected to the PC" and on Windows it goes one step further by saying: "Access".

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu

> When I connect the camera it is recognized and I can choose between Digikam or opening it in Konqueror.

In my experience with the Panasonic TZ3, it will be recognized twice - as a camera and as a mass storage device (two independent prompts will open asking me to choose what to open it with). If it's being recognized as a camera only, that could be why konqueror is coming up blank. See if it says "camera". I would check to see if the camera has a setting for PC mode - MSD/DCIM vs PTP/Pictbridge.

Also, I found that putting the card into a card reader provides much faster transfers than the USB cable, so you could consider getting a card reader as a workaround.

And my camera does say connected to PC whenever it is hooked up. It adds "Access" only when actively writing/reading data.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Try KPhotoAlbum in Add/Remove (All Available Application)

Beans

Exclamation Re: Panasonic DMC-FX12 Photo camera

Unfortunately the camera has no option to set a pc mode or such. According the listing on the website of gphoto2, the camera-series where this one belongs to, is supported. It just should work with USB Mass Storage.

I found this in /var/log/kern.log:

Code:
    May 29 18:14:22 k-uptown kernel: [56955.444988] usb 3-2: new full speed USB device using uhci_hcd and address 9
    May 29 18:14:22 k-uptown kernel: [56955.613217] usb 3-2: configuration #1 chosen from 1 choice
    May 29 18:14:22 k-uptown kernel: [56955.630216] scsi9 : SCSI emulation for USB Mass Storage devices
    May 29 18:14:22 k-uptown kernel: [56955.635198] usb-storage: device found at 9
    May 29 18:14:22 k-uptown kernel: [56955.635207] usb-storage: waiting for device to settle before scanning
    May 29 18:14:49 k-uptown kernel: [56982.182342] usb 3-2: usbfs: USBDEVFS_CONTROL failed cmd kio_kamera rqt 33 rq 102 l
    en 0 ret -71
    Seems like the last line is the one where it's all about.

Please help?

Beans

Lightbulb Re: Panasonic DMC-FX12 Photo camera

When I do a sudo /etc/init.d/hal stop

and do it mount manually:

Code:
    sudo mkdir /media/camera
    sudo mount /dev/sdc1 /media/camera
    It works, also in Digikam with Directory Browse.

I get those ideas from this thread: http://forums.suselinuxsupport.de/lo...hp/t59707.html

So this has properly to do with HAL or the Kernel.

Beans

Not quite. HAL is one of the bits of software that handles this (together with libgphoto2, mostly, if I have that right). It seems to me that libgphoto2 actually lacks support for this camera (I've got one myself) but for some reason still tries to mount it as a camera. I'm trying to remove it from libgphoto2, but it's not quite working. I'm planning to get a cardreader tomorrow, but it'd be nice to see this fixed anyway.

I found a bug report for pretty much this issue, claiming it's been fixed - apparently not quite >.>
    https://bugs.launchpad.net/edgy-backports/+bug/175156

The dirtyfix described in there doesn't actually work for me, for the simple reason that I can't find a rules file for libgphoto2.

Edit: Turning off HAL is one big horrible dirtyfix. So many things are managed by it on a laptop that I'd really prefer not to do that.
    Last edited by inci; May 29th, 2008 at 10:17 PM.

Beans

That file is /usr/share/hal/fdi/preprobe/10osvendor/20-libgphoto2.fdi

Make a backup first (e.g. in your root-dir)

I removed all the lines (between and including 2x <match key= + 2x </match>) where I found DMC- and -LZ and Lumix (just delete instances for all of those cameras to be sure).

After that I restarted hal and udev.

When I plug in the camera now, it is not recognized as a camera, but as a generic usb device.
    Last edited by jeroenvrp; May 29th, 2008 at 11:58 PM.

Beans

So this workaround works. Partly solved.