Thread: hardy freezes with no specific app open

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

hardy freezes with no specific app open

just recently upgraded to hardy from gutsy (which worked like a dream) but now hardy has a problem for no apparennt reason the GUI freezes but i can still move the mouse but i cannot click any buttons, the other day i was watching a vid on you tube and the gui stoped me clicking buttons but the video kept playing happily away to its self. i have tried reproducing errors but they are just to random i have checked the temps of my machine and they are fine done a bit of googling and people were saying ff3 could be the problem uninstalled that and using other browsers but nope still freezing anyone had this problem or a poss solution looking into building a 2.6.25 kernel see if its the kernel cheers of any help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: hardy freezes with no specific app open

Try running top in the terminal in the background and when it freezes, see what process is using all of the system resources.

Beans

Join the club.
    I had success updating the kernel in Hardy, but I'm sticking with 7.04, which is stable on my hardware, until this problem is resolved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I have tried running processes on top and when it freezes the bloody window minimizes thus i can't restore it to full size because i can't grab the buttons but to reiterate i still have cursor movement is there any logs worth looking at when i restart X with Ctrl Alt and Backspace (the only keys that work cant even drop down to command line with Ctrl Alt F1)
    cheers Ian