Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PC Won't Boot, Frozen on Intel Logo

Beans

PC Won't Boot, Frozen on Intel Logo

Just rebooted and my PC won't load up GRUB, BIOS or anything. It's frozen on the Intel Inside logo and I can't boot from a CD or DVD. Any ideas?

Beans

Re: PC Won't Boot, Frozen on Intel Logo

Can you hit ESC when the logo shows to see verbose self-test output?

Could be an improperly seated PCI card/HD/RAM stick/fluffy bunny, could be a busted RAM stick, could be a busted motherboard, etc etc.

Beans

Nope, escape or any other key does nothing. =[

Beans

I'd try basic troubleshooting.

Remove all unnecessary hardware. That means HDs, all expansion cards except your videocard, all RAM sticks except one (document which sockets they were in though). Just enough to get it to self-test but not necessarily boot. Do your very best to get it to show verbose self-test text (usually by mashing ESC), or failing that, get into the setup and see if you can enable Verbose Boot or something there.

If it worked, shut it down, add one more peripheral, power on.

Beans

After searching the net I found that it's most likely static or a dead motherboard battery. What d'you think?

I'll try basic troubleshooting when I have the time (and the confidence =P).
    Last edited by AlexMono94; May 23rd, 2008 at 10:01 PM.

Beans

Well, as far as I'm aware, the battery just makes sure your bios settings aren't wiped upon loss of power. Don't quote me on that, though.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Zorael View Post
    Well, as far as I'm aware, the battery just makes sure your bios settings aren't wiped upon loss of power. Don't quote me on that, though.
    I HAD to quote you on that because in my experience, you're right. Bad CMOS batteries just make you set the date & clock upon every boot when they fail.

Alex, a few months ago I had the same problem, though I'm not sure if I got the the manufactures boot screen (Compaq in my case). I executed the basic troubleshooting technique Zoreal mentioned and found the problem to be a USB hub (of all things). It was a Vakoss 7 port hub. I had installed the hub with the machine on and it worked fine, but upon reboot, nothing.
    Good luck.
    Last edited by SmokinJuan; May 24th, 2008 at 01:00 AM. Reason: more stuff!
    Compaq D500; Pentium 4 1.7 GHz; 768Mb RAM; Maxtor 40Gb Hard Drive; NVidia Geforce2 GFX; SoundBlaster Live EMU10K1; Hauppauge WinTV-PCI

Ubuntu 8.04; GNOME

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SmokinJuan View Post
    I HAD to quote you on that because in my experience, you're right. Bad CMOS batteries just make you set the date & clock upon every boot when they fail.

Alex, a few months ago I had the same problem, though I'm not sure if I got the the manufactures boot screen (Compaq in my case). I executed the basic troubleshooting technique Zoreal mentioned and found the problem to be a USB hub (of all things). It was a Vakoss 7 port hub. I had installed the hub with the machine on and it worked fine, but upon reboot, nothing.
    Good luck.
    Well I haven't made any modifications to this PC. I just rebooted and then it could even boot properly. Thanks for the help but I think it's best if I take this for repair because it could be anything and I don't wan't to fiddle around with the insides.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AlexMono94 View Post
    Well I haven't made any modifications to this PC. I just rebooted and then it could even boot properly.
    Things break. :>

Beans

I've found the offending compenent, my hard drive. Unplugged it from the motherboard and it booted fine into a Hardy live CD. So I think it's time to get a new hard drive (I was thinking about getting a new one anyway ).

I should've known considering I just installed Hardy and it took ages to partition the disk.

Thanks for all the help but is their any possibility their could be a problem with the motherboard where I plug the hard drive in? What are the symptoms of a dead hard drive?

Thanks
    Last edited by AlexMono94; May 24th, 2008 at 11:41 PM.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast