Thread: hardware compatability

Beans

hardware compatability

Hi,

I'm buying some new hardware online and I want to make sure that the hardware I buy is compatible with Ubuntu. Most of the stuff I'm buying will be pretty standard, however it usually lists the types of Windows (and sometimes Mac OS) that it is compatible with. I've looked at some other posts on this issue and done searches online, but I didn't know if the answers I found were specific to only certain models of hardware.

-I'm looking to buy a KVM switch that I will hook up to an Ubuntu machine and a Windows XP machine. Am I correct that most KVM switches should operate correctly regardless of the Operating System?

-I'm also looking to buy a cordless mouse/keyboard, such as this one (http://www.meritline.com/cordless-of...ez-8000rf.html). It says that it is compatible with various Windows systems, but no mention of Linux. Should I assume that these would be compatible with Ubuntu?

-USB Flash drives -- I am assuming these are compatible.

Is there anything I should look out for when I buy hardware for a computer? I remembered having some issues with drivers for a printer I bought, and I'd like to have a semi-smooth transition if I'm buying other new hardware.

Thanks for any insight!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: hardware compatability

Quote Originally Posted by boobahzone View Post
    Hi,

I'm buying some new hardware online and I want to make sure that the hardware I buy is compatible with Ubuntu. Most of the stuff I'm buying will be pretty standard, however it usually lists the types of Windows (and sometimes Mac OS) that it is compatible with. I've looked at some other posts on this issue and done searches online, but I didn't know if the answers I found were specific to only certain models of hardware.

-I'm looking to buy a KVM switch that I will hook up to an Ubuntu machine and a Windows XP machine. Am I correct that most KVM switches should operate correctly regardless of the Operating System?

-I'm also looking to buy a cordless mouse/keyboard, such as this one (http://www.meritline.com/cordless-of...ez-8000rf.html). It says that it is compatible with various Windows systems, but no mention of Linux. Should I assume that these would be compatible with Ubuntu?

-USB Flash drives -- I am assuming these are compatible.

Is there anything I should look out for when I buy hardware for a computer? I remembered having some issues with drivers for a printer I bought, and I'd like to have a semi-smooth transition if I'm buying other new hardware.

Thanks for any insight!
    The KVM will work fine.

The mouse will work as long as it is USB.

The USB flash drive will work. If it is U3 enabled you will need to take it to a Windows machine and use the U3 uninstaller to remove it.

Use mainstream parts (Nvidia, Intel, etc.) If it s an off the wall peice of hardware it might not work.
    Windows, only good for gaming.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 20.04 Focal Fossa

Re: hardware compatability

From the Ubuntu Forums Code of Conduct.
    If a post is older than a year or so and hasn't had a new reply in that time, instead of replying to it, create a new thread. In the software world, a lot can change in a very short time, and doing things this way makes it more likely that you will find the best information. You may link to the original discussion in the new thread if you think it may be helpful.
    Thread closed.
    Last edited by mörgæs; April 8th, 2013 at 11:20 AM. Reason: Removed offending post, which was also spam.