Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Wired Network Weirdness

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Wired Network Weirdness

I confuse easily, so forgive me if I type something stupid...
    The 10.11.4.40 address in a different subnet than the 10.11.0.2 DHCP server or any of the nameservers. CIDR addressing shouldn't care about nonstandard subnet mask, but does it cause problems having nameservers in different subnet? Is there a gateway address specified somewhere? If the other machines on your net are using that subnet mask, you'd lose contact with them if you changed it. Do the machines that work with these settings use those nameservers?
    Linux User #415691 Ubuntu User #8629
    Iowa Team (LoCo): [Wiki] [Launchpad]
    IRC channel: #ubuntu-us-ia on irc.freenode.net

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Are there any other Linux machines in your LAN that work in this network configuration?
    I can get a live CD version of SLAX to be able to access the internet on this same machine. Would you like me to see about running those same commands on that version of Linux?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Iowan View Post
    Is there a gateway address specified somewhere? If the other machines on your net are using that subnet mask, you'd lose contact with them if you changed it. Do the machines that work with these settings use those nameservers?
    I don't know the answers to the beginning part of your post but let me try to answer this quoted part.

The one thing that I NEVER did see configured anywhere, was a default gateway. Which is configured on Windows boxes via DHCP. I kinda thought that was odd but have no idea on how to configure that manually.

As far as the machines that work using those name servers I would assume they do but don't really kow how I would go about checking which name server they use. Unless I am misunderstanding your question... The only other way I can answer that is that yes the other machines (that do get internet service, also windwos XP) are configured to use those same DNS IPs.
    Last edited by mcdougrs; May 29th, 2008 at 04:25 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Something else wierd I noticed... when I go to System -> Administration -> Network Tools when I select eth0 it shows me all the info that it has on the device. However, when I click on the Configure button it says
    The interface does not exist

Check that it is correctly typed and that it is correctly supported by your system
    Seems odd to me seeing as how all the other commands have shown that it is getting an address at least. Just thought I'd mention it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok so it seems as though theres an issue with the new tg3 driver and my card... I just downloaded the new version of slax (the other one was just a disc a co-worker had laying around and happened to work I think it was slax version 2.something)

If that is the case, I wouldn't even be able to snag that old driver from that CD would I? It most likely would have been compiled for an older kernal?? I guess I can see what else I can find.

I appreciated you guys' help on this!!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Ok so I just did a make of the driver available for DL at broadcom's site and it still doesn't work. just an fyi

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12