Thread: Encrypting my File System?

Beans

Question Encrypting my File System?

Hi,

Is it possible to convert a freshly installed un-encrypted Ubuntu 8.04 setup to an encrypted file system without performing a fresh install?

I was planning on using TrueCrypt after the install to encrypt it but have since found out that TrueCrypt is only capable of encrypting a Windows OS partition and not a Linux one.

After a bit of reading I discovered that the alternative Ubuntu 8.04 install CD has the capability to install with an encrypted file system from scratch which kicks ares

If anyone knows how to encrypt a file system without a fresh install I would really appreciate it?

Cheers, James...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: Encrypting my File System?

Found this in the Wiki, its for converting existing partitions. It needs updated however for Hardy Heron, most of the steps should work fine for Hardy though. Might I suggest that you update that wiki page after you do the necessary steps?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/En...lesystemHowto7

-Cheers
    _,-O
    O
    (_)) ubuntu -
    -`-O

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by Soldierboy View Post
    Found this in the Wiki, its for converting existing partitions. It needs updated however for Hardy Heron, most of the steps should work fine for Hardy though. Might I suggest that you update that wiki page after you do the necessary steps?

https://help.ubuntu.com/community/En...lesystemHowto7

-Cheers
    Thou Shall Backup!!!

Beans

Thanks for the info Soldierboy ....and yes definately will backup Steve; got stung once by HD failure, never again!

Whisky - Tango over & out...