Thread: Can't connect to internet?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Can't connect to internet?

There are plenty of people who have this as their first question regarding Ubuntu? Why? It is a primary role for computers in the modern day.

Unfortunately, merely telling people that it doesn't work won't help them to resolve the issue. So - in the words of Tom Cruise, "Help me, help you."

This guide is useful reading regarding getting generic help: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/GettingAnswers

For internet-related help, make sure you include the following details:

1. How were you trying to get online? e.g. dial-up, USB-wired ADSL modem, ethernet-wired ADSL modem, ethernet-wired ADSL modem-router, wireless router / modem-router, 3G-mobile internet etc.

2. What hardware are you using? The brand & model number (perhaps with a link to an online manual) for your adapters, modems, routers etc. You can generally identify external components from their labelling, and internal components from within an Operating System already installed (e.g. Windows or Ubuntu).
    Code:
    lspci
    lsusb
    lshw -class network
    3. Who is your Internet Service Provider (and in which country)?

4. Which version of Ubuntu are you using? e.g. Ubuntu 8.04, Xubuntu 7.10 etc and 32- vs 64-bit.
    Code:
    uname -a
    lsb_release -a
    5. Can you get online with any other method? e.g. if you have a wifi problem, can you connect with ethernet?

6. How are you getting online to post on this forum?

7. Include the output from the following commands from Terminal (all case sensitive). They help identify your hardware, so provide further detail to potential helpers. If necessary, just copy and paste the text into a text file and upload from a different computer.

Code:
    ifconfig
    iwconfig
    route -n
    ping -c 3 208.67.219.101
    ping -c 3 www.opendns.com
    8. For wifi - what encryption are you using? Have you tried an open network? What wifi channel do you use?

9. Do you dual-boot with Windows? If yes - read this:
    If the network adapter supports a power management option, the following check box may be selected:
    Allow the computer to turn off this device to save power
    If the network adapter supports this option, it is available on the Power Management tab of the network adapter properties dialog box. To resolve this issue, disable this option on the Power Management tab. For more information about how to disable this power management option, click the following article number to view the article in the Microsoft Knowledge Base:
    If you have this power-save function on in Windows, it will turn the network card off before shutting down, leaving it unavailable to Ubuntu. So check that in Windows, and make sure you don't have power-save on.

If you include all these facts, together with an explanation of what you have tried already, your chances of a quick solution are much higher...
    Last edited by ugm6hr; October 27th, 2010 at 07:23 AM.

forestpixie Guest

Re: Can't connect to internet?

Did you mean to put this here?

Edit - I mean you should add it to your sticky in Abs Beginners
    Last edited by forestpixie; May 23rd, 2008 at 12:33 PM.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by forestpixie View Post
    Did you mean to put this here?
    It doesn't really belong anywhere - I have linked to it from the ABT beginners sticky.

But figured it was as good here as anywhere else, since it is about forum help.

Just decided to do this to save having to reiterate the same questions over and over.

forestpixie Guest

Just decided to do this to save having to reiterate the same questions over and over.
    That would be a BIG sticky - I swear that people think that search engines only work in windows

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by forestpixie View Post
    That would be a BIG sticky - I swear that people think that search engines only work in windows
    Or that we are all psychic mind-readers!

forestpixie Guest

I knew you were going to say that

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by ugm6hr View Post
    Unfortunately, merely telling people that it doesn't work won't help them to resolve the issue. So - in the words of Tom Cruise, "Help me, help you."
    When I used to be pretty active in the networking section I used to start almost every post with the exact same questions you listed here + a few extras.

A good one for those that dualboot or have an extra Windows PC is to ask for the output of ipconfig /all from a terminal.

I eventually just gave up though as 80% of the questions are the same and few bother to search.

Beans

(of topic a bit)

Quote Originally Posted by mips View Post
    ....few bother to search.
    Actually I think the search is sometimes a bit lacking as it seems to search on individual words first instead of phrases first.
    So the one which is pertinent to your query is two or three pages in, most new users don't have the patience to go through each thread of those 2+ pages so post a new one.

Just my tuppence.
    Malac - "Time Is Precious, Waste It Wisely"
    Registered Linux User 416897
    Registered Ubuntu User 7567