Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Vista won't boot after installing Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

Vista won't boot after installing Ubuntu 8.04

I had a working dual-boot of Vista and Ubuntu 7.10 (iirc), but Ubuntu stopped working after switching video cards (just a black screen after loading the kernel) and I needed it for some printer drivers (which weren't available for Vista. So I installed Ubuntu 8.04 over the old one, using the same partitions, thinking that it would work fine, but now Vista will not boot.

Every time I select Vista/Longhorn(loader) in the GRUB menu, it starts booting (the regular text I see, reseting boot device etc.) but then suddenly another GRUB menu appears, definitely not the same and not using my configurations (I left it at default after reinstalling Linux, but this one has the cyan "pretty" colours enabled and defaults to boot option 3 (being "Other OSes)).

Some things worth noting: it says GRUB4DOS at the top, I'm assuming this has to do with the fact I tried booting Vista.

It also displays some error message to the right of this, if you need the info I'll post it.

Also Ubuntu will not boot from this GRUB4DOS menu, as it will hang in the screen with the Ubuntu logo and the orange bar moving side to side, not moving onto the one with the orange bar filling, and after several minutes (not measured exactly, I usually walked away in frustration at this point) showing me a command line with "initramfs" or something similar.

The Vista installation disc will not repair my Vista install as it doesn't find any problems ( D:< ), and I've also already tried SuperGrub, but that won't fix it either >.>

I hope I've sufficiently explained my problem, any help is welcome, any suggestions will be attempted, just probably not today as I have an exam in a few hours and after that a nice long work-evening >.>

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Vista won't boot after installing Ubuntu 8.04

I interpret this as the old grub lingering in the system. It was a wierd problem though.

Did you delete the partition completely befor installing 8.04 or did yu just "update" the old system??

My best bet is to reinstall 8.04 and see if it install grub correctly.

Beans

Thanks for the reply.

I have two Linux-related partitions on my hdd, one root and one swap, which together are 5 GiB. It's what I had from my 7.10 install, so I just formatted the root one (couldn't check the format box with the swap one) and installed 8.04 over it. I've also reinstalled 8.04 a few times for several reasons (one being that I couldn't boot it from the GRUB4DOS screen, but hadn't realised it could be booted from the first GRUB screen, so I thought it was screwed and reinstalled it >.>)

Still Vista won't work though D:

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You know the Gparted partitioning tool on the live CD??
    Use that to delete both the Ubuntu partition and the swap, and install on the largest continous space. That'd be the wise thing to do. I think your problem right now is either too little space or dual swaps (or the wrong swap type). Either case, just reinstall ubuntu and use the GParted live CD.

Beans

I don't really get what you mean.

When I (re)installed (not sure) 8.04, I deleted both Linux partitions and made one large (5GiB) ext3 partition for the root. Then it whined to me that it didn't have a swap partition, so I used 256 MiB off the 5 GiB to make a swap partition and the rest for root. Is that approximately what you mean?

Or do you mean remove the partition when in GParted, then use the "Guided" installation thingy? I guess this is what you mean, so I'll do it now, as I don't see it could do any harm.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

I mean that there is this wonderful option called "guided - install on largest continous free space" that I guess is your safest bet. Delete the old swap and ext3 partition and let ubuntu configure the new ones.

Beans

Yes, that's what I remembered in my last part of my post

Doing it as we speak, on the LiveCD now (I do really like that about Linux, the LiveCD).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Yes, I know. It's wonderful for saving data from a destroyed operating system. All you need is an external drive and a Live CD
    A linux Live CD and a super grub disc should be in everyones cd-stack.

Beans

Alright, reinstalled using "Guided - largest unused space" option, made no difference. However, I now cannot even start to boot Linux from the GRUB4DOS screen, as it cannot mount the partition or sth similar (forgot the exact message).

I studied the message in the top of the GRUB4DOS screen a bit, and I noticed it said "Memory: 649K/3326M, CodeEnd: 0x3D7BC". I don't know what the CodeEnd means, but it seems like somewhere between GRUB and Vista my RAM isn't recognised properly, which is also confirmed by the "initramfs" command line interface I was faced with when booting Linux from GRUB4DOS before the last reinstall (I was told by a friend who also uses Ubuntu that initramfs only comes up if you don't have enough ram to boot Ubuntu).

So I ran memtest for a couple of hours (while I was working) and came back after 9 hours to see it had passed 7 times without errors.

Any ideas based on this new info?

Beans

If your still getting the option to boot from GRUB4DOS that means you still have that other boot loader installed. You propbably have a bootloader on the MBR and one on the primary partionion (just my guess).
    -- Have you tried recovering windows from a recovery disk?
    I would suggest attempting to recover windows first then use the windows partitioner to free up some space for Ubuntu and go for the reinstall. The same way that was suggested previously.
    -- The other memory thing seems like you may have a bab memory block that maybe the reason your having trouble booting up.
    When you do the recovery it should clear that up.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast