Thread: eth0:avahi and no IP by DHCP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

eth0:avahi and no IP by DHCP

I am using Ubuntu 8.04 being wired to my company network, on which we have to use DHCP.

From time to time, when I boot the PC I fail in connecting to the network.
    If i run the ifconfig command, I see a weird network interface labelled as eth0:avahi and no IP address is given to standard eth0 IF

To overcome this, I have to run the following command

sudo dhclient eth0

Can anybody explain what's happening ?
    Is there any problem with my DHCP client at boot time ?
    Is there any drawback in removing AVAHI from the system ?

Thanks in advance for the replies-

Beans

Re: eth0:avahi and no IP by DHCP

go to system->administration->network and go to eth0 properties and select DHCP instead of Roaming mode

Beans

I'm running into the same issue, however running sudo dhclient eth0 does not fix my issue (only a reboot does) and my wired interface is set to dhcp, not roaming. Is there another config I need to check? Thanks.

Also I just want to add I do show an eth0 interface with an ipv6 address, but no ipv4. eth0:avahi has an ipv4 address but no ipv6

Just adding a little more information. When I am in this state, if I set up eth0 with a static ip like this:

IP: 192.168.1.107
    Mask: 255.255.255.0
    Gateway: 192.168.1.1

The ifconfig entry looks correct, but the machine is unable to ping anything.
    Last edited by larubbio; June 9th, 2008 at 05:37 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

I'm having the same issues on my work PC. I have tried everything I can think of but no luck. I can get it to connect after about 6 to 10 restarts, but that is totally random.
    Alabama LoCo

Don't just use Linux, Learn Linux please refer to Proper Documentation. http://wiki.ubuntu.com http://doc.gwos.org http://ubuntuguide.org

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I had the same problem with my network disconnecting every now and then, and when switching between wlan and wired, I got the same eth0:avahi interface and no internet connection. I had to solve it by restarting, but superprash2003's solution seems to have fixed that.

[EDIT] Scratch that. The connection still dies, except now, my ifconfig output doesn't change. It looks perfectly normal with the usual local IP, but I still don't have a connection.

Running dhclient gives me "No DHCP offers" received. Still works when I restart the computer though.
    Last edited by Daneel24; June 16th, 2008 at 07:56 PM.

Beans

Apologies if this is not related, but after spending a few hours banging my head against the wall trying to get my wireless network working in Hardy Heron 8.04 - the solution was just too embarrassing not to share:

All the while, I had been right clicking on the network management icon on the system tray to show the "Enable ..." menus ( screenshot attached as screenshot-rightclick.gif )

After far too many years being conditioned to expect nothing from left clicking system tray icons, I finally tried left-clicking the same network tray icon ( screenshot-leftclick.gif). Shazam - it shows all the available wireless nets and lets me pick one to connect to and it all just worked!

I realize most are not a dumb as I, but just in case someone else might google the same "eth0:avahi" and "wlan0:avahi" and "wmaster:avahi" keywords, maybe my post will save them some time.

Dan
    Attached Images Attached Images