Thread: Problems Installing Java

Beans

Problems Installing Java

I'm having trouble install Java to Ubuntu 8.04. Originally I was getting an error running fakeroot, but I realize I was logged in as root in terminal. So I exited root and I'm still getting errors.

user@my-laptop:~$ cd /home/user

To get myself into my user folder because that is where I have the Java rpm.bin file. Nothing seems to happen when I type that though. I still get this.

user@my-laptop:~$

I guess I'm going to assume I'm in my user folder, even though it doesn't say.

user@my-laptop:/home/user#

Okay so now I type the fakeroot stuff and this is what appears.

user@my-laptop:~$ fakeroot make-jpkg jre-6u6-linux-i586-rpm.bin

Creating temporary directory: /tmp/make-jpkg.yaEGvC9436
    Loading plugins: blackdown-j2re.sh blackdown-j2sdk.sh common.sh ibm-j2re.sh ibm-j2sdk.sh j2re.sh j2sdk-doc.sh j2sdk.sh j2se.sh sun-j2re.sh sun-j2sdk-doc.sh sun-j2sdk.sh

Detected Debian build architecture: i386
    Detected Debian GNU type: i486-linux-gnu

No matching plugin was found.
    Removing temporary directory: done

What am I doing wrong, I can't figure it out. Any help is much appreciated.

Severvip

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Problems Installing Java

Did you try install Java using the repositories with:-
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install sun-java6-jre sun-java6-bin
    Think carefully before executing commands containing "rm", especially "sudo rm -rf ", if you require more information concerning this matter, read this.
    I am an experimenter, give me the most stable OS and I can make it unstable in a few hours.

C == seriously fast == FTW!

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

First, yes you are already in your home directory. That is where you start out every time you open a terminal. You can check this by entering
    Code:
    pwd
    That prints the working directory.

Second, Ubuntu does not use RPM. It uses DEB as it's based on Debian. You can very easily install Java as well as a bunch of other goodies like audio codecs and Flash Player by installing the ubuntu-restricted-extras package. You can go Applications→Add/Remove and search for ubuntu-restricted-extras or just paste this in the terminal.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install ubuntu-restricted-extras
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

A remark on the above posts: installing ubuntu-restricted-extras will give you an openJDK-based java, while sun-java6-* will give you the 'official' version of sun. The fist one is totally open source and works well 99% of the time, sun's version however turned out to be a lot faster on my machine and may even be more reliable. The choice is yours.

If you install both, you can set the default java with
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config java

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 18.10 Cosmic Cuttlefish

Quote Originally Posted by barnex View Post
    A remark on the above posts: installing ubuntu-restricted-extras will give you an openJDK-based java, while sun-java6-* will give you the 'official' version of sun. The fist one is totally open source and works well 99% of the time, sun's version however turned out to be a lot faster on my machine and may even be more reliable. The choice is yours.

If you install both, you can set the default java with
    Code:
    sudo update-alternatives --config java
    It does? Hmmm they must have changed that. I didn't know that. Thanks. I will keep that in mind.
    Blog | Ubuntu User #15350 | Zsh FTW | Ubuntu Security | Nothing to hide?
    AMD Phenom II X6 1075T @ 3GHz, Nvidia GTX 650, 8GB DDR3 RAM, 1 X 1TB, 2 X 3TB HDD
    Please don't request support via PM