Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Reducing boot time in Breezy using InitNG

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Re: HOWTO: Reducing boot time in Breezy using InitNG

Quote Originally Posted by exparrot
    I'm going to try and install this after upgrading to Breezy this afternoon, but first a question or two:

1) What is Jackd and is it necessary? I don't see it being used on my current Hoary install even though the binary for it is installed.

2) What is coldplug? How/why is it different to hotplug?

3) Can I leave ACPI enabled? Is it likely to work? I'm on a laptop.

Thanks!
    1) Dunno. Didn't need to fiddle with this. Sound works for me.
    2) Dunno
    3) Left it enabled on my laptop. Suspend to RAM works just as well as it did before INITNG.
    Kind Regards
    Manny C
    "We are on the road to producing a race of men too mentally modest to believe in the multiplication table." G.K. Chesterton
    --
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10, KDE 3.5.0, Kernel 2.6.12-10-386, Compaq Presario 2267ap, RLU #399975.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by berserker
    I've gotta ask. How many times do you reboot your Linux box that you really need to shave 30-40 seconds off the boot time?

"Why does anyone climb a mountain? Because it's there!"

"Incoming missile! Is the linux computer still rebooting? OMG! I knew I should have followed that InitNG thread!"

I usually boot up several times a day, considering it's a laptop. On a server, or even a workstation, I wouldn't be too concerned, especially since InitNG still needs some work. I can't wait to give this a try on my laptop though.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Breezy 5.10

Quote Originally Posted by evs
    I usually boot up several times a day, considering it's a laptop. On a server, or even a workstation, I wouldn't be too concerned, especially since InitNG still needs some work. I can't wait to give this a try on my laptop though.
    Why do you need to boot up a laptop several times a day? Is ACPI not working for you?
    Kind Regards
    Manny C
    "We are on the road to producing a race of men too mentally modest to believe in the multiplication table." G.K. Chesterton
    --
    Kubuntu Breezy 5.10, KDE 3.5.0, Kernel 2.6.12-10-386, Compaq Presario 2267ap, RLU #399975.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

xparrot

1. Dunno

2. coldplug is mainly used for to detect devices which are not hotplug (a good example of hotplug is USB thumbdrive , they get detected automaticly when you plug it and plug out. Mainly , you need coldplug to detect some devices in your lappie. Keep it on , don't try to disable it

3. Yeah of course you would. It depends , if your BIOS is blacklisted (thank god , there are few) then it should work

Beans
    Distro
    Dapper Drake Testing/

Woo, works like a nice Formula 1 now, thanks.
    --
    ###################
    http://thisisallaround.freezee.org
    ###################

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 6.10 Edgy

Quote Originally Posted by Manny C
    Why do you need to boot up a laptop several times a day? Is ACPI not working for you?
    Pretty much. I fixed my DSDT so that I can get my battery status, and hibernate was working out of the box. Suspend to ram would suspend fine, but the screen stayed black after resuming, and when I tried to fix it, I broke hibernate as well. I don't care too much about hibernate because it took almost as long to resume as a fresh boot. But yes, if I could get suspend to work properly then I wouldn't be shutting my laptop down very much, although a faster boot would still be welcome.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 15.10 Wily Werewolf

If I install this and it borks itself, would I be able to boot normally using the other Grub option, the one we clone the InitNG one from?

I'd love to try this out, but I just got done with a somewhat hairy dist-upgrade and am a little hesitant to tank my system

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Manny C
    And wireless doesn't start up automatically. I need to issue the following command after startup to get it working:
    Code:
     sudo ifup eth1
    and then it works. Will look at how to get this integrated in one of the .i files in a couple of weeks.
    Is this working now? Wireless is my primary internet connection, so having to issue this everytime on boot is somewhat annoying

Beans
    Distro
    The Feisty Fawn Testing

Quote Originally Posted by sailor420
    Is this working now? Wireless is my primary internet connection, so having to issue this everytime on boot is somewhat annoying
    I'd tend to say that if you're not a fiddler/tester/adventurous, initng is not for you right now. It takes a little patience getting it the way you want it in its current state.

Beans
    Distro

I don't mind tinkering; that's one of the things I like most about Linux. I just don't want to make my system unbootable since my Windows install isn't working at the moment

Page 5 of 41 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast