Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Reducing boot time in Breezy using InitNG

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Reducing boot time in Breezy using InitNG

@foxy123: Wanted to talk to you in IRC, but the internet connection in university left me
    Come around again and I'll be there hopefully.
    Maybe it is a problem with acpid, but i'm not sure. Are the modules specified in /etc/default/acpid loaded? Try "modprobe battery". Is hal running and working?

@berserker: Maybe this is a problem with a too slow udev. I will investigate and hopefully find a solution. Can you try to delay initial.ii a bit with a "wait"a dn wee if it works then?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by berserker
    The latest one that works for me is 0.4.7-3. The 0.5.1 gives me an fsck.ext2 error right after loading the kernel and stops there.
    Same for me. Has anyone found a way around this yet?
    "Windows is something to overcome"

Howto's by me:
    Tweak firefox! (URL now works..)
    Backup/Restore your system!
    Avoid having to reboot

Compentux.org
    , the Linux Tip & Howto gathering initiative!

Beans

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

With InitNG 0.4.8-1, I only once (out of about 4 times) managed to shut down properly, every other time the system hung when it got to turning off the USB ports. I'm not sure why.

With InitNG 0.5.1, everything's much slower, and the system hangs where it's trying to detect the ethernet cable (that's not plugged in). I CAN use Ctrl-Alt-Del to get it to halfway shut down, but it won't even turn off properly. I haven't looked at the log yet, but my system no longer boots with splash when set to boot normally.

DigitalAxis: if you unistall InitNG does it boot normally then?

Beans

@berserker Heliode and everyone else with problems like this
    Can you please try the following:
    Copy the files you find here http://triggerit.tr.funpic.de/debian...tfiles/system/ to /etc/initng/system and run “ng-update a system/udev system” to add udev.i to the runlevels. Reboot and hope the best
    I need to know of the problem persists. I never had problems and so I need your feedback. It seems as if we are too fast for udev.

@DigitalAxis: I need more information. Please open a bug in http://bugzilla.initng.thinktux.net
    Try to boot with "init=/sbin/initng --verbose" and see if you can see something usefull.

Beans
    Distro

@Limulus
    No, it booted normally the second time. I'm not sure what happened; I'll try to reproduce

@Trigger|Debian
    Will Do.

Beans
    Distro

Ok, for some reason KDM is failing.

Code:
    <...>
    Jan 12 14:51:45 localhost daemon/kdm:
    Jan 12 14:51:45 localhost daemon/kdm:  ** "initng_simple_launcher.c", simple_exec_fork()  line:191:
    Jan 12 14:51:45 localhost daemon/kdm:  14:51:45 -- FAIL:^IEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEERRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRRROOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOORRRRRRRRRRRRRRR!!!!!!!!!
    Jan 12 14:51:45 localhost daemon/kdm:  ** "initng_simple_launcher.c", simple_exec
    Jan 12 14:51:45 localhost InitNG: Service daemon/kdm has been stopped.
    <...>
    (Somehow X isn't being started?)

Anyway, the endless loop turned out to be daemon/sendmail as started by daemon/fetchmail, continually waiting for the internet (initng_netprobe.c) to come up but since my laptop's not online, no dice.

There's still an odd problem with "initng_common.c line 412. initng_common_mark_service: a state hook did not like this change."

I've appended a file with all of the various weirdness I found in /var/log/messages, though I'm not sure how much my selections will help anyone.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by DigitalAxis
    Ok, for some reason KDM is failing.
    Same here. I have to manually start KDM. The fsck.ext2 error is gone but it fails at KDM start.

Beans

The path to kdm seems to be wrong (it should be /usr/bin/kdm). Did you cahnge this and it fails? If yes that's a real problem. If no only Initng's feedback is bad

Page 26 of 41 FirstFirst ... 16242526272836 ... LastLast