Thread: Enabling Cube

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Wink Enabling Cube

This is my first post in customization, i have installed Advanced Desktop Effects Settings, but i do not know how to enable the cube, you know when you can rotate things and have 4 screens like on Youtube

Any ideas how to turn it on easily ?
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans

Re: Enabling Cube

Quite simple

Enable Desktop cube and Rotate Cube (From what I can tell you don't have rotate check enabled that is your problem)

Now just hold Alt+control+left mouse then drag your mouse
    Also when your mouse is on your desktop (not on a window) Simultaneously press left and right mouse then drag
    And finally you can also hold Alt+Control then hit down arrow, you get the screens then use left and right to change screens

post back if you have problems
    Last edited by bobjenkins; May 20th, 2008 at 04:52 PM.

Beans

You'll need to select, desktop cube and rotate cube to get that working. Its worth going into the settings of each plugin and having a look at the bindings tab to see what the default shortcuts are for triggering different effects, you can then set them to whatever you like obviously.

The one thing that might bite you is that you need to set your "virtual desktop size"

Find the "General Options" plugin and ensure under the Desktop Size tab you have a virtual horizontal size of 4 and a vertical one of 1, the number of desktops should also be 1.

Those settings will give you a cube, changing the horizontal size can give you a piece of paper, a triangle a pentagram etc, just leave the other values at 1 for now

Hope thats useful

Beans
    Hidden!

What about that vision of the whole cube like this guy on Youtube shows at 0:05? Here's the link: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bYsxaMyFV2Y (I don't know the Ubuntu forum policy on posting youtube vids, but if it is not allowed my apologize but I'm very curious how that guy made that stuff cuz it's pretty cool)
    "There's no such thing as illegal immigrants, only illegal Governments..."

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Try this....
    Firstly, how many desktop workspaces do you have ? You need 4. Right click on the boxes in the bottom RH corner, select preferences and set to 4 columns.
    Next, go to System - Preferences - Advanced Desktop Effects - Double click on Rotate Cube, check its enabled and set Flip Time to 200, Speed to 1.7, Zoom to 0.8. Now go to Desktop Cube, Behaviour, check its enabled, set Acceleration to 4, Speed to 1.7 and Timestep to 1.2.
    You should now have a cube when you select a new Workspace when clicking the workspace in bottom RH corner or using Ctrl-Alt-Left or Right arrow.

Beans
    Hidden!

Yeah, but that's just the cube. I mean, look from the 4 to 12 seconds of the video, he zoom it out and had a sky thing, and you could see the complete cube and he seemed to be playing it around with the mouse or something and then he selected the sea eagle and all with the sky as a background. I already had the cube, but it's the turning playing it around that attacks me, not the change itself.
    Thanks for your explanation on how doing the cube thing, I think it will help a lot of people getting their cube done. But about the "playing with the cube" thing, I hope I wasn't too confusing explaining it.

Beans
    Hidden!

Oh, I got it! It's just by pressing ctrl+alt and wave the mouse around! Thank you very much on the zoom thing, I was missing that

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thumbs down Re: Enabling Cube

Oh thank you so much guys sorry i havent replied erlier, was away

thanks now i got a cube like on utube hehe