Thread: network disabled in lshw

Beans

network disabled in lshw

Hi all,

I am running 6.10 and my wireless was working until I got DSL a few months ago. Alas, since then I haven't been able to access the internet. I am trying to run through some troubleshooting guides, but am stuck at stage one. lshw says that "*-network DISABLED" but can see that I have a card. Eth0 is Ehternet interface and eth1 is the wireless. Any help on how to "enable" the network would be appreciated I have been reading Kevdogs post on how to manually configure without the network manager (because I can't find it now, was there before). http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=571188

Hope this makes sense,

Wade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 17.04 Zesty Zapus

Re: network disabled in lshw

May we please go ahead and see your:
    Code:
    sudo lshw -C network
    sudo cat /var/log/messages | grep eth1
    The last command will produce quite a bit of output, so just let us have the last 6-8 lines. Thanks.
    "Oh, Ubuntu, you are my favorite Linux-based operating system" --Dr. Sheldon Cooper, Ph.D.

Beans

Thanks for the reply. I actually upgraded to 8.04 and everything works great. I know this isn't the way that I should handle things like this, but I wanted to upgrade anyway.

Wade

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Would you like to mark the thread as SOLVED then please?
    Keep Ubuntu free! Donate any amount you like – just use the PayPal donation address donations@ubuntu.com

Beans

Hi,

I'm on 8.04 and am experiencing this disabled network
    problem. I'm trying to get the ubuntu machine online, so I'm posting from a different computer, forgive the approximations.

if I do
    Code:
    lshw -c network
    I get the wireless card which I'm trying to use, ndiswrapper driver installed and found. It used to display
    Code:
    *-network:0 DISABLED
    , which I thought was the problem, but the DISABLED has now disappeared and still no connection.

The last line of
    Code:
    sudo cat /var/log/messages | grep eth1
    produce this:
    Code:
    ADDRCONF(NETDEV_UP): wlan0: link is not ready
    Any help is appreciated.