Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Enterprise IM with archving

Beans

Re: Enterprise IM with archving

Quote Originally Posted by abuthemagician View Post
    as far as IRC goes, we have some employees that are older and we had a hard enough time explaining the latest teller software, let alone try to explain IRC. Also, IM is point and click software for the client side, much like email is.

as far as a separate email server, we are going to give everyone IM, but limit who has access to email.
    Some IRC clients are point and click. However, I use finch for IM and it is text based

Don't judge protocols by the interface

Beans

we went with OpenFire on this in case anyone wondered.

Beans

Email is the best solution. Also setup & use your own mail server for maximum security. It's very secure you can share all of your secrets via email without any tension of lacking.

Linux Archive
    Last edited by pmicheal; February 9th, 2009 at 03:19 PM.

Beans

We already have an Exchange 2003 server. We were looking to offload some of the use by those who do not receive external emails to save on licensing if we go with 2007. It also takes away the load of general chit chat and gives us presence information.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by abuthemagician View Post
    we went with OpenFire on this in case anyone wondered.
    I'm looking to do something similar - install internal company IM. I'm currently testing Jabber via the jabberd2 packages. This was a bit more pain than expected (manual setup), plus a lot of learning (I've not done any IM before, even as a user). I also had to download and compile a "chat" plugin (muc-conference) manually. It all seems to work .. but seems a little adhoc. A concern is now be package maintenance and update.

I'll check ejabberd soon I think. Then perhaps Openfire. A GUI admin tool is atractive right now!

Alastair

Beans

I would try openfire first. It has many plugins including RED5 which will give you a web based flash client as well as audio / video chat. The AV chat windows are kinda small at 320x2?? but I don't have an issue with that. Tried to get 640x480 out of the beast but don't know enough about the tools required to make it work.

Upgrading openfire is a cinch. Just download the .deb package and install do an upgrade. Done. Also it integrates with active directory, and you can use SSO if you take the time to set it up on the server.

Overall, no packages to compile (unless you want to) or dependencies to track down.

Beans

also, we have ours running on a Dell Optiplex GX240 with a early 1.4ghz P4 processor and 1gb of ram. We have 75 users on it and it never goes down or does anything weird. I would think we could fit more than that on it but we don't have any more employees to test the theory.

Beans

Hmm, Citadel does it all: Email, calendars, IM, chat...

The Citadel back-end is BerkeleyDB and it can handle up to 256 TB of data. You can literally replace dozens of Exchange servers with a single Citadel server.

See this:
    http://citadel.org
    http://aeronetworks.ca/citadel-howto.html
    http://aeronetworks.ca/citadel-clients.html

Cheers,

Herman

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I realize you got a solution, but wanted to give you some things to consider.

One thing to consider is some of your users may use IM to communicate with their children, etc. I use IM at work strictly so my wife/kids can get a hold of me. I don't use it to communicate with co-workers as they would send stuff that should be routed through our request system, etc.

Also I found that implementing changes like this best come from the top along with HR participation.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12