Thread: Irritating behavior with images/GIMP

Beans

Irritating behavior with images/GIMP

I right click an image file in Konqueror and say Open With > GIMP and it loads GIMP and everything is fine. If I then right click on a different image and say Open With > GIMP it loads up another copy of GIMP and opens that image in this second GIMP.

Is there a way to have the computer detect if the program is open and then use the open version to open the file? I tried this with mp3s and Amarok and it works the way I'd like it to.
    Last edited by dai_vernon; May 26th, 2008 at 08:48 PM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Irritating behavior with images/GIMP

Unless I'm reading you wrong, this is the way the Gimp UI is designed. Each successive opening of an image brings up another image window, so you have to manually close the other one.

I think this is what you are seeing, rather than two instances of Gimp loading - just two images loading.

Since Gimp is an editor, this design makes it easy to say open up two instances of the same image, and you can easily see the effects of your edits as compared to the master image.

In your case, I can see how it might be annoying.
    20" G5 iMac - AMD64 HP desktop
    http://www.ppclinux.info/

Beans

Re: Irritating behavior with images/GIMP

No, I mean, the loading splash appears again and the program opens a second copy of itself. This doesn't happen when I open a file from the File > Open menu - it simply opens another file, rather then loading up the entire program again.