Thread: Mixed results installing Desktop Themes in Gnome

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Mixed results installing Desktop Themes in Gnome

Hi,
    I'm having mixed results installing desktop themes or metacity themes from www.gnome-look.org ....

Oftentimes there's no problem; I do the following menu sequence: System/Preferences/Appearance and click install and it loads the theme just fine.

Usually it is the tar.gz files which install the best, although sometimes, like right now, it will tell me that a tar.gz file "Does Not Appear to be a Valid Theme". This is why I'm posting right now.

So why would one tar.gz file be ok and another one not be ok?

Some themes come in a tar.gz2 format, which really is a difficult format to install. Any help there is appreciated as well.

Many Thanks, Frank B.

PS I have installed the Emerald Theme Manager from Synaptic. It will import the current tar.gz theme I want, but nothing changes on my desktop when I choose the new theme.
    Last edited by Brightbelt; May 22nd, 2008 at 01:32 PM. Reason: additional information

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Mixed results installing Desktop Themes in Gnome

Quote Originally Posted by Brightbelt View Post
    So why would one tar.gz file be ok and another one not be ok?
    Sometimes the actual theme package is inside another tarball. Untar it and check inside.

Quote Originally Posted by Brightbelt View Post
    I have installed the Emerald Theme Manager from Synaptic. It will import the current tar.gz theme I want, but nothing changes on my desktop when I choose the new theme.
    I found that for emerald themes, you have to restart the window manager to get it to work. Some machines it doesn't work like this... You can use fusion icon which will give you several "tweaks" and functions for compiz (like restarting the window manager).

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: Mixed results installing Desktop Themes in Gnome

Many Thanks, Cyber.