Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast

Thread: General MoBlock thread

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Re: General MoBlock thread

@jre

Are you going to remove the "Whitelist IPs" feature on future versions of Mobloquer? I really like this feature and will miss it

If yes, would be possible to add a feature to allow editing "allow.p2p" file from the Mobloquer gui?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    Are you going to remove the "Whitelist IPs" feature on future versions of Mobloquer? I really like this feature and will miss it

If yes, would be possible to add a feature to allow editing "allow.p2p" file from the Mobloquer gui?
    Don't worry. My plan was to wait for the implementation of allow.p2p in mobloquer and then (and only then) remove it from moblock-control. So I wanted to completely replace the first by the latter and keep the code base small.

Unfortunately the upstream development of mobloquer is stalled currently :-/ More on that another time. Note that I can't do the C++ necessary for mobloquer.

Therefore, and to keep my TODO small, I decided to keep everything as it is. In the next release the "deprecated" warning is removed.
    Please post your logfiles and output of commands wrapped in code tags:
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]
    Co-author of PeerGuardian Linux (pgl). Maintainer of the pgl package repositories for Debian and Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by jre View Post
    Don't worry. My plan was to wait for the implementation of allow.p2p in mobloquer and then (and only then) remove it from moblock-control. So I wanted to completely replace the first by the latter and keep the code base small.

Unfortunately the upstream development of mobloquer is stalled currently :-/ More on that another time. Note that I can't do the C++ necessary for mobloquer.

Therefore, and to keep my TODO small, I decided to keep everything as it is. In the next release the "deprecated" warning is removed.
    Thank you. Great news.

Beans

This is what I get in my moblock-control.log every time I try to update to whatever update came through the repos today:

2008-09-26 11:04:24 PM EDT Begin: moblock-control reload
    Building blocklist * Error 9: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/ads...nd-bad-pr0n.gz not available.
    * Check the /etc/moblock/blocklists.list and try a
    * "moblock-control update" first. Aborting!
    2008-09-26 11:04:24 PM EDT Begin: moblock-control update
    Updating blocklists ...
    Updating ads-trackers-and-bad-pr0n.gz failed!
    rm: cannot remove `ads-trackers-and-bad-pr0n.gz': No such file or directory
    Trying without timestamping * Error 9: http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/ads...nd-bad-pr0n.gz not available. Aborting!
    * To fix this manually download http://www.bluetack.co.uk/config/ads...nd-bad-pr0n.gz and copy it to /var/spool/moblock/used
    2008-09-26 11:04:37 PM EDT Begin: moblock-control reload
    And this is what I get in the terminal:

dave@dave-laptop:~$ sudo apt-get install moblock moblock-control
    [sudo] password for dave:
    Reading package lists... Done
    Building dependency tree
    Reading state information... Done
    moblock is already the newest version.
    moblock-control is already the newest version.
    0 upgraded, 0 newly installed, 0 to remove and 0 not upgraded.
    2 not fully installed or removed.
    After this operation, 0B of additional disk space will be used.
    Setting up moblock-control (1.0-1+hardy) ...
    * Reloading MoBlock moblock ... failed.
    Trying an update instead to get missing blocklists, this may take several
    minutes. You may do in another terminal a
    "tail -f /var/log/moblock-control.log"
    to follow the update process. Pressing "control" + "c" stops this.
    The lists are saved to /var/spool/moblock/.
    * Updating blocklists and reloading MoBlock moblock ... failed.
    dpkg: error processing moblock-control (--configure):
    subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 9
    dpkg: dependency problems prevent configuration of mobloquer:
    mobloquer depends on moblock-control; however:
    Package moblock-control is not configured yet.
    dpkg: error processing mobloquer (--configure):
    dependency problems - leaving unconfigured
    Errors were encountered while processing:
    moblock-control
    mobloquer
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    Any ideas what's going on? seems as though the blocklists can't reached, am I alone in this problem or is the site that hosts the lists just not online...although I doubt that's the problem since this happened right after I updated the package....I had moblock and mobloquer installed, and I saw that moblock-control was its own seperate package, so I guess when I updated it downloaded it....at this point I have purged and reinstalled all three of those packages more than once.....any input would be great,even if it is just to commiserate

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

I've been getting the same error as chronniff all day long. It seems as though the blocklist site is down. It's making updating anything else really annoying, as the processes stall because moblock keeps trying to update and I have to manually cancel it.

Beans

yeah, the funny thing is that when I go to the site is up and running fine...though I haven't tried to download a list directly from the site

Beans
    Distro

I don't know if this is the problem you are experiencing, but I also had a few issues the last couple of days updating the lists from Bluetack, even when using another software to download them. I build my own lists, merging a few sources with TinyBLM, so I don't receive any errors on moblock, since it retrieves only local files.

Bluetack's lists are not being updated as they were before. A few list maintainers have quit Bluetack's team and created a new list distribution site. You can read about this here and as you can see here, Bluetack is searching for new IP hunters and verifiers. So it might be a good idea to add the TBG lists to moblock and temporarily disabling Bluetack's list until the problem is completely solved.

Another source that might interest you is i-Blocklist, but this one do not integrates with moblock yet, so you have to download them manually and add the local files paths to moblock.

Beans

Thanks a lot man....I remember about a year ago they came very close to shutting down their servers due to lack of funds....I guess the group was just falling apart, its a shame considering most of the p2p community has been depended on the site for their security for years now...not that most of the users even pay attention as to where these magic lists of IPs come from.....I appreciate the heads up though...thanks again

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by chronniff View Post
    Thanks a lot man....I remember about a year ago they came very close to shutting down their servers due to lack of funds....I guess the group was just falling apart, its a shame considering most of the p2p community has been depended on the site for their security for years now...not that most of the users even pay attention as to where these magic lists of IPs come from.....I appreciate the heads up though...thanks again
    You are welcome.

I'm sure they will get back on track soon. At least they have enough funding for almost a year now.

BTW, Level 1 list is completely empty right now

Beans

Thanks, lovinglinux, for this information - I totally missed that. Although the level1 is not empty here.

For people not having problems: Do nothing, be happy, don't make unnecessary blocklist downloads.

So for all people having update problems: The old default blocklists by bluetack currently often fail to download. MoBlock will refuse to start if not all configured blocklists are available. So your problem is the download of the blocklists, but not a problem of your installation. So do NOT purge moblock-control - this will remove all downloaded blocklists, even those that were already downloaded successfully - so purging will make your problems bigger.

What you can do now:
    Check what blocklists fail to download in /var/log/moblock-control.

If you want to use that blocklists try a "moblock-control update" or download it manually. Then place the blocklist in /var/spool/moblock/used. (e.g. "sudo cp level1.gz /var/spool/moblock/used")

If you don't want to use that blocklist just run "sudo dpkg-reconfigure moblock-control" and deselect the blocklist in question. For the other questions that you will be asked - just keep everything as it is. Then do a "moblock-control update".

If you want to use blocklists by TBG just add them to /etc/moblock/blocklists.list and do a "moblock-control update".

What I will do: I'll prepare a update which uses the new lists by TBG per default (this will only work on new installs). On updates from the current installations I'll notice the user of the current situation.
    Last edited by jre; September 28th, 2008 at 01:27 PM. Reason: Corrected path
    Please post your logfiles and output of commands wrapped in code tags:
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]
    Co-author of PeerGuardian Linux (pgl). Maintainer of the pgl package repositories for Debian and Ubuntu.

Page 9 of 65 FirstFirst ... 78910111959 ... LastLast