Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast

Thread: General MoBlock thread

Beans

Re: General MoBlock thread

Quote Originally Posted by bigtel View Post
    This is the error message I get through synaptic installer -

--
    E: /var/cache/apt/archives/moblock_0.9~rc2-16~hardy_i386.deb: subprocess new pre-removal script returned error exit status 3
    --
    Please have a look at this post:
    http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...4&postcount=67

EDIT: The hardy only bug is fixed in 0.9~rc2-17~hardy
    Last edited by jre; August 19th, 2008 at 09:12 PM.
    Please post your logfiles and output of commands wrapped in code tags:
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]
    Co-author of PeerGuardian Linux (pgl). Maintainer of the pgl package repositories for Debian and Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

I'm trying to install moblock on a fresh Hardy install, when I try to run the install from terminal using apt-get, the terminal brings up the window shown here. However, nothing at all happens when I click OK, or any other key on the keyboard that I've discovered. If I press ESC, it returns to the terminal, giving the following error:

Code:
    dpkg: error processing moblock (--configure):
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 10
    Errors were encountered while processing:
     moblock
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    I tried to install it via Synaptic, and got farther, even was able to enter ports to whitelist. But when I tried to click Next after whitelisting local LAN, it hung, and then Synaptic returned the following error:

Code:
    E: moblock: subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 8

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by the_unexpected View Post
    I'm trying to install moblock on a fresh Hardy install, when I try to run the install from terminal using apt-get, the terminal brings up the window shown here. However, nothing at all happens when I click OK, or any other key on the keyboard that I've discovered.
    Have you tried pressing TAB until OK is selected and then RETURN? I'm not sure if clicking with the mouse does work.

Anyway, the error you got the second time sounds strange. Please try to reinstall MoBlock:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude purge moblock
    sudo aptitude install moblock
    Note that during installation you will have to wait some time until the blocklists are downloaded. But there will be a message on the screen notifying you of this.
    If installation fails again, then please post the output of "sudo moblock-control status" and your /var/log/moblock-control.log
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]
    Co-author of PeerGuardian Linux (pgl). Maintainer of the pgl package repositories for Debian and Ubuntu.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Quote Originally Posted by jre View Post
    Have you tried pressing TAB until OK is selected and then RETURN? I'm not sure if clicking with the mouse does work.

Anyway, the error you got the second time sounds strange. Please try to reinstall MoBlock:
    Code:
    Note that during installation you will have to wait some time until the blocklists are downloaded. But there will be a message on the screen notifying you of this.
    If installation fails again, then please post the output of "sudo moblock-control status" and your /var/log/moblock-control.log
    Thanks! Tab+Return did get me through what needed to do, however, after downloading the blocklists, it returned the error below. I did, however, check the moblock control log, and found that I'd incorrectly entered config syntax for port ranges (separated by hyphen instead of colon). I corrected this and everything is now running fine...figured I'd post this in case anyone else runs into the same problem. Thanks! (the log is attached as a .txt file).
    Code:
     * Starting MoBlock moblock                                                     invoke-rc.d: initscript moblock, action "start" failed.
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 8
    Setting up p7zip (4.57~dfsg.1-1) ...
    Processing triggers for libc6 ...
    ldconfig deferred processing now taking place
     moblock
    E: Sub-process /usr/bin/dpkg returned an error code (1)
    A package failed to install.  Trying to recover:
    Setting up moblock (0.9~rc2-17~hardy) ...
     * Reloading MoBlock moblock                                             [ OK ] 
     * Starting MoBlock moblock                                                     invoke-rc.d: initscript moblock, action "start" failed.
     subprocess post-installation script returned error exit status 8
     moblock
    Reading package lists... Done             
    Building dependency tree       
    Reading state information... Done
    Reading extended state information      
    Initializing package states... Done
    Writing extended state information... Done
    Building tag database... Done
    Sudo moblock-control status brought up the following:

Code:
    sudo moblock-control status
    Current iptables rules (this may take awhile):

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 95261 packets, 89M bytes)
     pkts bytes target     prot opt in     out     source               destination         

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 77605 packets, 11M bytes)

Chain moblock_fw (0 references)
        0     0 NFQUEUE    all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           NFQUEUE num 0

Chain moblock_in (0 references)
        0     0 NFQUEUE    all  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           NFQUEUE num 0

Chain moblock_out (0 references)
        0     0 RETURN     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:443 
        0     0 RETURN     tcp  --  *      *       0.0.0.0/0            0.0.0.0/0           tcp dpt:80 

Please check if the above printed iptables rules are correct!

* moblock is not running.
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by the_unexpected; August 25th, 2008 at 11:30 PM. Reason: clarification, grammar.

Beans

Ah, glad you figured it out on your own. And thanks for posting this, it's good to know that a problem is solved.
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

@jre,

I wrote on another thread that you replied (about torrent clients) that I was using IPlist instead of Moblock. Now I'm switching to Moblock and would to explain why I was experiencing difficulties with it.

I was a Windows/PeerGuardian user until a couple of weeks ago. First thing I did after switching to Linux was installing Moblock and Firestarter. Unfortunately, the transition itself is not easy, so I tried to understand the whole iptables thing, to make sure I was secure with these applications. I did a couple of tests with Moblock and Firestarter, browsing web sites that I knew that were included in the blocklist. But no matter what I did, those web sites weren't blocked at all. So, I uninstalled it and installed iplist.

Today I discovered why those web sites weren't blocked, even when I didn't allowed HTTP in the Mobloquer GUI. Apparently, if I include ports 80 and 443 during moblock installation, the entry on /etc/default/moblock override Moblocker settings. I'm not an expert, but I guess is because the setup uses port numbers and Mobloquer uses the new "http https..." format. So I deleted the first line of /etc/default/moblock and now I can control which ports I will allow connections within the Mobloquer interface.

Everything is working properly, as far as I know.

So I will stick with Moblock/Moblocker, because it has some nice features that iplist doesn't have. Thanks for your support and effort on building this great tool for Linux users.

Beans

Thanks for your feedback! What particularly are the features that IPList doesn't have?

Indeed you are right about that mobloquer bug. I once heard of that but forgot to note it.
    Just for the records: mobloquer also saves its settings in /etc/default/moblock (since it's just a frontend for MoBlock/moblock-control). mobloquer correctly reads "80 443" and interprets them as "http https". The bug is that unchecking http or https in mobloquer doesn't remove the 80 or 443. Bug fixes welcome!

Greetings
    jre
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Thanks for your feedback! What particularly are the features that IPList doesn't have?
    For instance, the ability to allow single IP's "on the fly". I know that this feature to work Moblock should be restarted, but as far as I understand iplist only have the allow.p2p file.

As far as I remember, iplist has the option to allow protocols both ways, while in Mobloquer you can allow incoming, outgoing or both. That is really useful.

Moblocker also stays on the tray when closed, together with Firestarter. It's not a necessary feature, but it i like it.

Beans

Code:
    I too am getting this error (used the debian etch repos hough).

I did the purge, install as you suggested but got errors:

Here are the output you requested:

Code:
    # moblock-control status
    Current iptables rules (this may take awhile):

Chain INPUT (policy ACCEPT 18385 packets, 19M bytes)

Chain FORWARD (policy ACCEPT 0 packets, 0 bytes)

Chain OUTPUT (policy ACCEPT 17971 packets, 1660K bytes)

Please check if the above printed iptables rules are correct!

moblock is not running.
    Code:
    # cat /var/log/moblock-control.log
    2008-09-20 17:05:52 EDT Begin: moblock-control reload
    Building blocklist^[[31m*^[[39;49m  Error 9: www.bluetack.co.uk/config/ads-trackers-and-bad-pr0n.gz not available. Check the /etc/moblock/blocklists.list and$
    2008-09-20 17:05:52 EDT Begin: moblock-control update
    Updating blocklists ...
    Updating ads-trackers-and-bad-pr0n.gz.
    Updating bogon.gz.
    Updating dshield.gz.
    Updating fornonlancomputers.gz.
    Updating hijacked.gz.
    Updating iana-multicast.gz.
    Updating iana-private.gz.
    Updating iana-reserved.gz.
    Updating level1.gz.
    Updating level2.gz.
    Updating Microsoft.gz.
    Updating proxy.gz.
    Updating templist.gz.
    Blocklists updated.
    Building blocklist.
    Installing blocklist to /etc/moblock/guarding.p2p.
    MoBlock is not running, doing nothing.
    2008-09-20 17:07:52 EDT End: moblock-control update
    2008-09-20 17:07:53 EDT Begin: moblock-control start
    ^[[31m*^[[39;49m Error 170: Could not load kernel module xt_state, not starting MoBlock!
    2008-09-20 17:07:54 EDT Begin: moblock-control reload
    Building blocklist.
    Installing blocklist to /etc/moblock/guarding.p2p.
    MoBlock is not running, doing nothing.
    2008-09-20 17:07:55 EDT End: moblock-control reload
    2008-09-20 17:07:55 EDT Begin: moblock-control start
    ^[[31m*^[[39;49m Error 170: Could not load kernel module xt_state, not starting MoBlock!
    Seems to want the kernel module xt_state which I don't seem to have...
    Last edited by graysky; September 20th, 2008 at 10:23 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by graysky View Post
    Seems to want the kernel module xt_state which I don't seem to have...
    Just for the records, see our discussion at
    http://forums.phoenixlabs.org/showthread.php?t=17430

The kernel in question (2.6.23-chw-4 used in the distribution Knoppmyth) does not have the kernel module xt_state at all. (Although the Debian kernels 2.6.22, 2.6.24, 2.6.26 and 2.6.27 do have it).

Therefore my advice (which might break other parts of the system) is to add the Debian repository to /etc/apt/sources.list (use lenny = testing or sid =unstable):
    Code:
    deb http://ftp.debian.org/debian lenny main
    and install the current kernel:
    Code:
    sudo aptitude update
    sudo aptitude install linux-image-2.6
    and then reboot and choose the new kernel in grub. If anything goes wrong just reboot again and use the old kernel.
    Code:
    [code]output[/code]

Page 8 of 65 FirstFirst ... 6789101858 ... LastLast