Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Trash icon shows empty when full and empty trash button grayed

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Trash icon shows empty when full and empty trash button grayed

Quote Originally Posted by Ioky View Post
    I think it is more like the Trash - folder what whatever, it call can't recognize there is Trash in the Trash folder, as I said, not just the icon doesn't change, but also the "Empty Trash" button in side the Trash Windows is grayed which I can't use it to empty my Trash, Just wondering is that can be a bug and some one know how to fix it.

It is not a very big deal and I do know how to empty my trash from command line, but it kind of bother me a bit. haha

just wondering any one can fix it.

Thanks for the help though
    The reasons for it are not too clear to me, but i believe it occurs when the Trash applet fails to communicate correctly with the Gnome/Bonobo layer.

Solution is to remove the Trash applet from the panel and add a new Trash applet in its place. Alternatively, restart Gnome.

Cheers.

Beans

Occasionally I had this same problem with the greyed empty trash button in Ubuntu 8.04. What I did is just right-click on the trash icon in the lower panel and select "empty trash" from the context menu which always worked.

As I recall, the icon also may or may not change immediately to show empty, but would be ok on the next startup.

I have not seen this problem in my current version, 8.10.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

It works to remove the trash applet from the panel and then re-add it. It will show up empty again.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12