Thread: Firefox 3.0 RC1 and youtube

Beans

Firefox 3.0 RC1 and youtube

I've just upgraded firefox 3.0 rc1 from b5 and when I try to open a youtube video, the browser automatically quits. I had it working before upgrading, and all other flash including movies such as metacafe works fine. Has anyone else had this problem?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Firefox 3.0 RC1 and youtube

Please search the internet and these forums before posting a question. Firefox's instability with flash in hardy is due to its pulseaudio integration. Remove the package "libflashsupport", restart firefox, and you should be good to go.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude remove libflashsupport

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by strabes View Post
    Please search the internet and these forums before posting a question. Firefox's instability with flash in hardy is due to its pulseaudio integration. Remove the package "libflashsupport", restart firefox, and you should be good to go.
    Code:
    sudo aptitude remove libflashsupport
    I posted a new topic because I hadn't found anything about instability after switching to rc1 from beta. I tried your suggestion, and now I have no sound in flash. I tried reinstalling that package, and still no sound. I guess ubuntu really isn't ready for the mainstream, huh. It's just so frustrating. It took me hours just to get my rear speakers working. Subwoofer still not working. It's so disheartening to see the video and not hear any sounds again.
    Last edited by clef360; May 22nd, 2008 at 07:13 AM.

Beans

Someone please help me. I am going crazy trying to find a fix for this. I'm not using alsa.

Beans

It used to only crash occasionally. Now it never crashes but there is also never any sound. I wish I wish I wish it would just crash again. I promise that I will paypal $10 to whoever can solve my sound problems! Seriously! Not a scam!!! Just desperate! I am BEGGING.
    Last edited by clef360; May 22nd, 2008 at 07:26 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Maybe not ideal solution can't you just remove firefox 3 and install firefox 2. Then hold off upgrading to 3.0 until it goes final and these issues are resolved.

I had firefox crashing horribly whenever I tried to access Youtube but removing that package solved my problems and I still have sound.

The one thing I've done that most people probably haven't is change my sound preferences.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Hedgewars, the best game no one plays
    http://www.hedgewars.org/

Linux registered No. 477199

Beans

Try this
    1) make sure everything is installed: sudo apt-get install pulseaudio libflashsupport
    2) go to "system > preferences > sounds" and make everything "pulseaudio"
    3) close firefox and any other sound-using program
    4) go to the terminal and enter: sudo pkill -9 pulseaudio
    5) then start pulseaudio again by entering: pulseaudio -D
    6) start firefox, go to a flash website and see what happens. If things work, you don't have to do any of this again when you reboot. If there's still no sound, please post the result of the following command: cat /proc/asound/cards