Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: login as root Ubuntu is making me go nuts

Beans

login as root Ubuntu is making me go nuts

I have a big problem every time I want to do some ting I always have to give the administrator password but I want to be able to access everything I want to on my computer
    in other words I don't want to give a password every time I want to do something I want to have the rights as soon as I login
    it's my PC why should I give a password just to copy a a image file to use as a boot screen? I shouldn't!!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: login as root Ubuntu is making me go nuts

This kind of permission stuff is set up to make sure no normal users mess with the operating-system essential files. If a malicious user were to gain access to your system as a regular user, it prevents them from doing much of anything to harm your overall system (your personal data is a different story) without the root password.

If you don't want to have to do this, take the following steps *AT YOUR OWN RISK*:

1. Give your root account a password;

Code:
    sudo passwd root
    2. Enable root login:

Settings->Administration->Login Window

Go to the "Security" tab, and select the "Allow local system administrator login" option.

3. Log out and log in as user "root" using the password you gave the root acount in step 1

4. Be VERY careful about anything you do outside of /home from now on, because a simple mistake (like rm -rf ...) can kill your entire system without asking you for confirmation.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aroch1 View Post
    This kind of permission stuff is set up to make sure no normal users mess with the operating-system essential files. If a malicious user were to gain access to your system as a regular user, it prevents them from doing much of anything to harm your overall system (your personal data is a different story) without the root password.

If you don't want to have to do this, take the following steps *AT YOUR OWN RISK*:

1. Give your root account a password;

Code:
    sudo passwd root
    2. Enable root login:

Settings->Administration->Login Window

Go to the "Security" tab, and select the "Allow local system administrator login" option.

3. Log out and log in as user "root" using the password you gave the root acount in step 1

4. Be VERY careful about anything you do outside of /home from now on, because a simple mistake (like rm -rf ...) can kill your entire system without asking you for confirmation.
    I don't want to login as root I want my account to have administrator rights

Beans

use windows if you want that kind of hole.

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=765414
    Last edited by kerry_s; May 21st, 2008 at 05:39 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by foxofinfinety View Post
    Please read up on what "root" and "administrator" means. I don't think you understand the concepts behind it. This isn't Windows.

This page will tell you all about it:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Root_user

Beans
    Hidden!

Read this. http://www.ducea.com/2006/06/18/linu...sswd-nopasswd/ Simple how-to. You will not log in as root, but sudo will not ask for a password. Of course, this is also unsupported and unrecommended.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

That is exactly one of the reasons why Linux systems are much safer than Windows systems, for example. It is based on a different administration model that seems to have proven more efficient and secure over time.

That said, it is not recommended at all to run every single application as root/administrator, only tasks that require administrative privileges. For example, if some malicious code is downloaded or executed by a regular user, it will affect at the most his/her own directory, leaving the rest of the system intact. I think that this is quote a good idea. The same goes for preventing a regular user from damaging the system, after all it is the administrator account owner who has to be able to do that. By theway, Mac OSX uses the same pricnciple as Ubuntu.

If you want to run a GUI file manager as root, you could for example execute from a terminal:
    Code:
    gksudo nautilus
    or any other file manager.

I hope that this has been clear enough, and if you have further questions feel free to ask.
    Say NO to software patents in the European Union!

Beans

I was actually looking for something simple and there are word there I don't even know (I'm dutch and still learning English)

I just want to paste 3 image's in a folder
    and make 2 others
    but I can't

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

There is also a way to extend the timeout between password requests by editing the sudoers file. Security is reduced, but it might be what you are looking for. More details if you want them.
    Last edited by drs305; May 21st, 2008 at 06:24 PM. Reason: spelling

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

I was actually looking for something simple and there are word there I don't even know (I'm dutch and still learning English)

I just want to paste 3 image's in a folder
    and make 2 others
    but I can't
    The part of the file system that is normally reserved for users is /home/user_name, where user_name is your log-in user name. You can create without worries sub-directories/folders in there. Most of the rest of the file system is restricted for regular accounts, with the exception of /tmp and probably /var/tmp. There might probably be others, but I don't recall right now.

What exactly are you trying to do? Maybe we can help.
    Say NO to software patents in the European Union!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast