Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: System76 Drivers on Mint

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: System76 Drivers on Mint

We've built up a brand identity with Ubuntu. Many people think of us as the Ubuntu computer company, and Ubuntu is a large part of who we are as a company. Switching from Ubuntu to Mint would for us be almost as drastic as Apple switching from Mac OS to Ubuntu.

I'm not ruling out the possibility of a Mint version of the System76 Driver, however, I wouldn't hold my breath. Doing that means we need to test and QC on an entirely different distribution, and Mint and Ubuntu are only going to drift further and further apart as time goes on. We'll see a big split in April with Unity.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Understood. I thought that there may be a specific reason why it might not be such a practical move for system76. It's an ethics issue, I suppose. No big deal.
    I, personally, am very happy with the native Ubuntu of my system76 laptop. I did install Mint on my old Compaq Presario briefly, but It seemed to bog it down quite a bit - don't know why. So I replaced it with the Ubuntu Lucid using their i386 architecture (32 bit) cd download.
    Thanks for the explanation & insight.
    Last edited by bro brian; December 31st, 2010 at 01:35 AM. Reason: Typo

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

I haven't seen any postings in regards to Mint being installed on a machine in several months. Was wondering if anyone has done a recent install or upgrade to Mint in the last few months, if there were any issues on their System76 machine.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by macpj View Post
    I haven't seen any postings in regards to Mint being installed on a machine in several months. Was wondering if anyone has done a recent install or upgrade to Mint in the last few months, if there were any issues on their System76 machine.
    I never did install it on my Pan5 laptop, so I'm not really sure what would happen. I am still curious myself, however, and I wonder if you couldn't just install system76's driver onto it after installing Mint. Why couldn't you? Mint is merely the Ubuntu os with a few tweaks. It loads up using the Ubuntu protocol and everything.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

You could, but it wouldn't run, since Mint identifies as Mint, not as Ubuntu. There is a thread somewhere on hacking mint to work with the driver though.
    Ian Santopietro - System76 Technical Support.
    Open a Support Ticket!
    Ask a Sales Question!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Maybe my needs are less demanding than most, but I find that Debian works very well with my System 76 laptops. I have been running Debian testing (squeeze) on my DARU1, and Debian stable (Lenny) on m DARU3. I would be running Debian on my STAR1 but I ran into the poor wireless performance issue that was present with standard Ubuntu. I need the System 76 driver to get good wireless performance. I plan to sell my Star1 and buy a current Starling as I feel that it should run Debian without the wireless problems.

Joe

Beans
    Distro
    Lubuntu 13.04 Raring Ringtail

Quote Originally Posted by jml View Post
    Maybe my needs are less demanding than most, but I find that Debian works very well with my System 76 laptops. I have been running Debian testing (squeeze) on my DARU1, and Debian stable (Lenny) on m DARU3. I would be running Debian on my STAR1 but I ran into the poor wireless performance issue that was present with standard Ubuntu. I need the System 76 driver to get good wireless performance. I plan to sell my Star1 and buy a current Starling as I feel that it should run Debian without the wireless problems.

Joe
    Just to round out the DARU line, I'm running Debian squeeze on my DARU2.

jdb
    Last edited by jdb; January 15th, 2011 at 02:42 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.10 Quantal Quetzal

hacking the System76 driver for Mint (et al)

Getting meta on the thread:

First,

Quote Originally Posted by isantop View Post
    There is a thread somewhere on hacking mint to work with the driver though.
    Quote Originally Posted by bro brian View Post
    ... don't do that: that just points back to this thread, in which currently (unless I'm completely blind or careless) there is no pointer to the Mint-hacking thread. Second,

Quote Originally Posted by Futurian View Post
    Has anyone tried Scotty Bones' procedure on System76 with Linux Mint 9 Isadora?
    Quote Originally Posted by Scotty Bones View Post
    I can not attest to the continued effectiveness of my original how-to. However, after a quick review of the files involved in this new release via VirtualBox, the only thing that seems to have changed is the location of the mint-adjust.py file in step I from:

/usr/lib64/linuxmint/mintSystem/python/
    to
    /usr/lib64/linuxmint/mintSystem/
    Can someone point to Scotty Bones' howto? I searched this forum but found nothing.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jml View Post

Joe
    Joe,
    On the Star 1, I got my wireless working well with a Debian based distro (crunchbang) by downloading the "bleeding edge" package of Compat Wireless from: http://wireless.kernel.org/en/users/Download

Then just followed the directions to build the driver for the Star 1. It was pretty easy, and I consider myself more intermediate than advanced with linux.

I've been trying to get the word out about that great program after I got the suggestion from somebody else.

I don't think it will make a difference, but I'm running the Liquorix Kernel. I'm pretty sure the driver still worked okay when I booted into the standard Debian kernel.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast