Thread: How to delete specific files from the recent items list?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

How to delete specific files from the recent items list?

Hey all,
    OK lets say I open Movie Player and use the file open option to open a new file.
    I'll get a list of previously opened files.
    So, how do I wither clear that list, or remove items from the list?

I'm using Movie Player as an example. Take a test file as another example. I have a text file with a lot of sensitive info in it from eWallet in XP. However Revelation's XML import isn't working correctly so I'll have to put it in by hand so since it's going to take some time, I haven't locked the text file.
    So if I don't want the teenagers to see the file... how can I delete it from the recently opened files list?

Cheers
    Donal

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: How to delete specific files from the recent items list?

By clicking to "Places->recent->clear" this should clear all the recent items from your menus, including the media player etc.

Dont know about individual files though...

EDIT: Actually I have just found the recent files are listed in a file in your home folder called .recently-used.xbel You can edit this by typing in a terminal

Code:
    gedit .recently-used.xbel
    It looks to be in xml format and you should be able to take out individual sections without causing any damage. Be careful though and make sure if you delete sections to get the whole section and leave no odd tags...
    Last edited by bubba_169; May 21st, 2008 at 01:54 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

If you want to remove all items from the recent documents list, go to "Places" > "Recent documents" > "Clear recent documents". If you want more fine-grained control, edit the hidden file(s) called .recently-used and/or .recently-used.xbel which are located in your home directory. (In the file manager press CTRL+H or go to "View" > "Show hidden files" to toggle the display of hidden files).

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Thanks guys!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Exclamation Re: How to delete specific files from the recent items list?

Whenever I delete anything in .recently-used.xbel and save, close and re-open the file; the file seems to be restored to how it was before I edited it. Is there a way to solve this?
    I'm using Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx.