Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

How do I install icons?

on Ubuntu 8.04

Beans

Re: How do I install icons?

Its usually very straightforward.
    First make sure to download icon themes from gnome look
    most of them should be easy to install, by right clicking on your desktop and selecting "change desktop background"
    In the first tab (the theme tab) just click on the "install" button and when the next window pops up direct it to the icon theme you downloaded.
    HOME BUILT SYSTEM! http://brainstorm.ubuntu.com/idea/22804/ Please vote up!
    remember kiddies: sudo rm -rf= BAD!, if someone tells you to do this, please ignore them unless YOU WANT YOUR SYSTEM WIPED

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

You can alter a single icon through System->Preferences->Main Menu, and then editing any entry you want. To install an icon theme, install the packaged file through System->Preferences->Appearence, then click install, and once it is installed you may select it by "Customizing" a theme. You may then want to save your Customized theme with your new icon theme. You can find Icon Themes at Gnome-look.org and ubuntu-art.org
    Registered Ubuntu user #4019 Registered Linux user #434490
    Personal Blog completely unrelated to Linux

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by Scheater5 View Post
    You can alter a single icon through System->Preferences->Main Menu, and then editing any entry you want. To install an icon theme, install the packaged file through System->Preferences->Appearence, then click install, and once it is installed you may select it by "Customizing" a theme. You may then want to save your Customized theme with your new icon theme. You can find Icon Themes at Gnome-look.org and ubuntu-art.org
    While I've got some of the ins and outs on customization, I saw this happen once when I was Gutsy, and it's happened again in Hardy. What caused this? And more importantly what can be done to correct it so that the icon previews can be seen?

Let me add before I forget again. The Icon font sets are installed, as I'm capable of accessing/changing them, it's just that the previews are now missing when earlier they weren't. I had installed a few from art.gnome.com and it happened shortly after the last set was installed.

Following instructions from another thread, I attempted to install a new set, and the issue remained.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by MerrickB; May 21st, 2008 at 11:44 PM. Reason: Missing information needed for clarification