Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: What Am I Missing by Sticking with Gutsy?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: What Am I Missing by Sticking with Gutsy?

On July 3rd Ubuntu 8.04.1 is due. This could be what you're waiting for.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I started in late April by installing Gutsy. I'm extremely happy as it's fast, doesn't crash or freeze, and I'm able to get most of the things I want to get done with it. Running W2K in VirtualBox is a great bonus as I have a few programs I can't do without that are PC based.

I will probably hang on to Gutsy for quite a while. If it ain't broke, why fix it?

Inxsible is offline Badabing Badabang Badaboom...Sucker!
    Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SlappyPappy View Post
    I will probably hang on to Gutsy for quite a while. If it ain't broke, why fix it?
    My motto is
    If it ain't broke, you are not trying hard enough !!
    I love the challenge of making things work. That's why since Ubuntu has become so stable that release after release just works, that I now trying my hand at the minimal install and also a few other distros like Arch and Zenwalk.

Eventually, I plan to give Gentoo a try too.
    Shed that weight!! -- Apps | Window Managers

Arch + i3 (tty1) Arch + wmfs (tty2)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by prshah View Post
    The intel graphics issue is pretty well cleared up; the acceleration method in hardy was changed to exa from xaa, and particularly for exa, an additional parameter was required. If you decide to upgrade, post/pm and I'll be happy to give you more details.

I run intel onboard in all (most) of my computers, all are working excellent.

On the whole, I'd recommend upgrading.
    Well, I know from my personal experience that Hardy did not want to work with my Intel i810 onboard graphics. I could start a GUI and desktop, but got nothing but 640x480, no matter how many times I tried reconfiguring X. When I searched for answers, the result from several posts was something along the lines of, "Yeah, Hardy dropped the ball when it comes to i810 Intel graphics..." Since then, I have purchased an nVidia Geforce 6200 card, and with Envy have it running pretty well, though I did have trouble with X confused between the Intel driver and the nVidia. I did a lot of stuff in terminal that I didn't understand, (sorry I can't remember what guide I used) eventually updating and installing the nVidia drivers and controls.

Anyway- as much as I would like to have the "latest and greatest" version of Ubuntu, I am nervous about hitting that Upgrade Now? button, because I don't want to mess a good thing up now that I have it running smoothly. I do think I will someday, after I understand what I'm doing a bit more.

JC

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by joshjani View Post
    When Hardy Heron first came out, I tried to upgrade from Feisty. It did not go well, and what I wound up doing, after much reading here, was installing a fresh Gutsy. I saw that many folks were having a lot of difficulty with one piece or another in Hardy, particularly with Intel onboard graphics. So I steered clear, downloaded Gutsy and now have it running relatively nicely.

My question is, what am I missing by sticking with Gutsy? If I continue to update my version, will I eventually get close to Hardy? I'm not even sure what long term support means, as you all here on the forum are my support! Where would I get any other support, long term or otherwise?

Which brings me to something else...Is there a Knowledge base for Ubuntu, where many of the common problems have solutions listed and outlined? How do all y'all know so much on how to fix things? Sometimes I don't even know how to phrase my search, and as much as I love coming here for help, oftentimes I can't find what I need because I don't have the right lingo, or enough knowledge even to phrase the right question. For instance, if I search for "nvidia", I get WAYYYY too many posts, many of which talk about compiz or beryl, things that are out of a beginner's league. I almost live at that psychocats.net ubuntu site- thanks Aysiu!! But it'd be great to find some other knowledge bases.

I'm very close to giving XP the boot, at least on this machine, as I find that I really can do everything in Ubuntu- even Slacker (internet music), which was my one remaining reason for keeping XP in a dual boot. Before I do rid this PC of XP, though, I'd love to get more knowledgeable and confident with Ubuntu and linux in general.
    You should understand that, when Gutsy first came out, there were issues also. Even more than Hardy, probably.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

The problem with Intel was not Intel or Hardy specific. It was more likely your BIOS did not properly advertise the supported modes correctly. I had an issue with that in an earlier laptop, but using the correct xf86-video-intel (not xf86-video-i810) driver, the modesetting works flawlessly, even if the BIOS garbles it.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

No worries. I've been watching the forums as well and am also holding off on Hardy for the time being. I held off on Gusty on my desktop for a while... then forgot about it. Then I realized Hardy was on the way and I was still on Feisty.

So I bumped up to 7.10 a week before Hardy was released. If your system is humming, resist the initial urge to upgrade. It'll probably be August or September before I make the move. I too have a Nvidia card (FX5200) that I have seen a blurb or two about. On top of that I'm pretty sure an update to VMWare is going to be necessary as well. I'd also like to see my FF plugins redone for FF3.

When you do decide to do it, allow yourself a day to get things running they way you like it. When I finally went to Gutsy (again, nearly 6 months after release) I waited for a Friday night and started the update. I rebooted and everything...... worked. Anticlimatic, but that's how I wanted it. Had I jumped on early, who knows?
    Why can't life have a sudo apt-get install -f command?
    Install VMWare Server 2 on a text-only system
    Need help getting your printer working in Linux?
    It's all about choice, right? Then stop flaming Windows users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by lazyart View Post
    No worries. I've been watching the forums as well and am also holding off on Hardy for the time being. I held off on Gusty on my desktop for a while... then forgot about it. Then I realized Hardy was on the way and I was still on Feisty.

So I bumped up to 7.10 a week before Hardy was released. If your system is humming, resist the initial urge to upgrade. It'll probably be August or September before I make the move. I too have a Nvidia card (FX5200) that I have seen a blurb or two about. On top of that I'm pretty sure an update to VMWare is going to be necessary as well. I'd also like to see my FF plugins redone for FF3.

When you do decide to do it, allow yourself a day to get things running they way you like it. When I finally went to Gutsy (again, nearly 6 months after release) I waited for a Friday night and started the update. I rebooted and everything...... worked. Anticlimatic, but that's how I wanted it. Had I jumped on early, who knows?
    LOL, I'm just the complete opposite of you.

I LOVE trying out new stuff, especially OSes.

When Hardy came out, I started anticipating for Intrepid.

I upgrade as soon as I can. XD

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

I'm going to try intrepid on my spare HD or virtualbox etc as soon as.

If it's broke I can fix it. Well try at least.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12