Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Can I watch video over VNC?

Beans

Can I watch video over VNC?

I have managed to set up a server using Ubuntu 8.04, with a CCTV camera connected to it via a Hauppauge PVR 150 card, and can connect to it using PalmVNC from my Palm TX, but when I launch mplayer on the server, the video only shows as a black box on the palm. I know that the video works normally because I plugged my monito into the server and all was fine.

Is it possible to view video over the vnc system? I am doing this all over my home netwwork so speed should not really be an issue.

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Can I watch video over VNC?

Just did a test with VLC on my Mythbuntu server. I could watch video just fine (no sound though). I had a problem with mplayer, it did not want to play the files at all.

Don't know about palmVNC, but at least it is possible!
    Open mind, open source!
    Keep control of computer usage with timekpr
    Screensaver for Amarok? AmarokScreenSaver
    My (Norwegian) blog about motorcycles and MotoGP

Beans

I've tried watching youtube and stuff over VNC and it's just very slow. Sometimes when I was trying to take a screen shot of video that was playing through realplayer, it would be a black screen - dunno why it does that but it may be realplayer codec video.

Beans

Hmm, I have had a play around and using mplayer or Videolan I can play any film on my server but it just shows as a blue or black screen on the PC / Palm when connecting using vnc.

I guess there is a setting somewhere to allow a higher data throughput?

Any one point me in the right direction.

Beans

Im now using vnc4server on the server and xvnc4viewer on the main pc. I have set all the settings on the viewer to max but can't find anyway to change settings for the viewer.

When accessing the server, it feels very responsive and has full colour etc but I still can't watch any video through the vnc viewer.

Does anyone know if there are settings I can use, or should I be using a different vnc server?

Inxsible is offline Badabing Badabang Badaboom...Sucker!
    Beans

I used to watch video over NX - no sound again- and it was pretty fast too. I know its not VNC, but NX gives a better remote desktop experience. You might wanna try it out, although I am not sure if your palm would support NX.
    Shed that weight!! -- Apps | Window Managers

Arch + i3 (tty1) Arch + wmfs (tty2)

Beans

Thanks for the suggestion.

It does look good but I need the palm facility to work really so will continue trying with vnc for now

Beans

What about opening it with ssh? I just tried to open Firefox via ssh on my LAN and it works very good(playing both music and youtube).

Beans

Sounds like something I could try, thing is I have no idea what SSH is. Will do some digging, but is there something I need to install on my server / PC first or does Ubuntu come with it pre installed?

Beans

OK got ssh working but it just gives me a command prompt. Is there any way of having a graphical interface like x?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast