Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Need help with Grub Error

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Need help with Grub Error

Quote Originally Posted by jobyjoe View Post
    I upgraded to 8.04 by using the ubuntu updater. Can I use the 7.10 cd??? or do I have to have the 8.04 cd.
    yep, no prob

Beans

Ok, I followed the instructions about using the live cd to go in and change grub. Everything went smooth. I restarted, I get to the grub menu, so I was happy. I try to start Ubuntu, and this message comes up:

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist

Ok, so now I'm frustrated. So I go back to the grub menu and I try to start XP. This is the message I get:

NTLDR is missing

I have no idea what to do and/or what is going on. Any help????

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You might want to post your menu.lst and output of sudo fdisk -l

Beans

Thanks for your help, and sorry for this, BUT i don't know how to do that. Could you give me some instructions? do I have to use the Live cd again?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Error 21: Selected disk does not exist
    This means you put the wrong disk as your root partition. See the link in my signature for more information on reinstalling grub. See this link for more information about grub partition naming conventions. (hd0,1) Would indicate that the root partition is on the first disk and the first partition. The disk numbers start with 0 and the partition numbers start with 1.
    Last edited by strabes; May 21st, 2008 at 10:31 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.10 Oneiric Ocelot

Thanks for your help, and sorry for this, BUT i don't know how to do that. Could you give me some instructions? do I have to use the Live cd again?
    yes. boot from the live cd, open up the terminal (Applications --> accessories--> terminal.)

and enter

Code:
    sudo fdisk -l
    and

Code:
    sudo gedit /boot/grub/menu.lst
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick | ASUS A6Rp | Intel(R) Celeron(R) M CPU 420 @ 1.60GHz | 4 GB ram |
    Graphic Card: ATI Technologies inc RC410 [Radeon Xpress 200M]

Beans

Arrow Re: Need help with Grub Error

How are you able to post to this forum?!? You obviously have another PC you could burn the supergrub ISO to a CD with... Supergrub makes repairing grub problems extremely easy which is why I had suggested it. We're talking about a simple 10 second fix here. Sorry you're having such difficulty...

Beans

Damn, now I can't even run off of the Live cd. It freezes every time it gets to the black screen that says Ubuntu and has the little status bar under it. It just freezes at this point. Any suggestions?

Edit: I have laptop, but it is without a cd burner. That is how I can post.

Beans

Ok another update. I was able to go over to my neighbors and burn a copy of supergrub. So I booted the CD, and it sort of worked, but again, it would just freeze when it got to the ubuntu loading screen. So I booted without the CD, and it would go to the grub menu. Now when I choose Ubuntu from the menu, I get:

Error 18: Selected cylinder exceeds maximum supported by BIOS

And if I try to run XP, i still get the NTLDR is missing message.

I'll keep trying to get into Ubuntu so I can get those logs. Any suggestions about why I can't get into ubuntu?

Beans

Are you running the latest BIOS firmware for that mobo? Have you triple checked all your ribbon cable and power connections and jumpers for the hard drive(s) in question? Does the BIOS properly detect the hard drive? (correct size and sectors shown in BIOS)
    Regarding the NTLDR problem, theres a disk for that too heh:
    http://www.tinyempire.com/shortnotes...dr_missing.htm
    Note: this will likely break grub so you'll have to rerun supergrub disk after fixing NTLDR.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast