Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Need help with Grub Error

Beans

Need help with Grub Error

Hi all, I need some help here. I just upgraded to Ubuntu 8.04 from 7.10. I never had any problems with 7.10. But now, after upgrading, I can't even run Ubuntu! I'm dual booting XP and linux, and everytime I start my computer it says

"GRUB Loading stage1.5Read Error_"

I don't really know what this means. It doesn't give me any specific error number. What do I do now. I'm not too computer savvy, so I really don't know what to do, and I really need to use my computer. Thanks for any help.
    Last edited by jobyjoe; May 21st, 2008 at 03:40 PM.

Beans

Beans

Re: Need help with Grub Error

I had a similar error when I tried a version of lime linux . I think I might have set partitions wrong or something.

Beans

Yeah it's just that it worked fine till I upgraded. What is supergrub and what do I do with it?

Beans

I'm probably not understanding this right, but do I have to use the supergrub cd every time I boot my computer?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by jobyjoe View Post
    I'm probably not understanding this right, but do I have to use the supergrub cd every time I boot my computer?
    You can download supergrub as an ISO and burn it to a cd. Then you boot from the cd. Hopefully it will solve your problem.

No. You shouldn't need it everytime you boot.

Beans

Ok, I really need help here guys. I can't burn a cd because I can't boot my computer. Can i put the .iso image on a usb drive and try to boot from there? Also, the file i got was "supergrubdisk_0.9677.iso" is this the correct file? Or did I download the wrong one? thanks for any help

Beans

bump

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Boot the Ubuntu live cd and burn from there.

In fact, when you boot up the live cd you can just repair grub from there. Search the forums on how to reinstall grub.

There you go: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=224351
    Last edited by roe_polak; May 21st, 2008 at 05:14 PM. Reason: typo

Beans

Thanks for the help, but I have another question. The only Ubuntu cd I have is from when I installed 7.10. I upgraded to 8.04 by using the ubuntu updater. Can I use the 7.10 cd??? or do I have to have the 8.04 cd. Sorry if this is a dumb question.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast