Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] Installing a Brother DCP-110C printer

Beans

[SOLVED] Installing a Brother DCP-110C printer

Hi.

I have a Brother DCP-110 printer, which I had a hell of time installing under Gutsy Gibbon. When I upgraded to Hardy Heron it stopped working again. Can anyone help me get it running again, or point me to a how-to?

Thanks in advance.
    How can we have any coffee if we don't roast the beans?

forestpixie Guest

Re: Installing a Brother DCP-110C printer

Might help - there are apparently drivers from brother available - your model is on the page

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...r_drivers.html

this is the installation page

http://solutions.brother.com/linux/s...r_install.html

Beans

Thanks, forestpixie. You've been a really great help.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

Also, see this; I believe the driver you need is in the repositories, no need to download from the Brother site.
    https://wiki.ubuntu.com/BrotherDrive...light=(Brother)

Beans

Well, what do you know.

I found a lot of drivers and what not through synaptic. Should I just install all of them?

Beans
    Distro

Quote Originally Posted by Mr. Svinlesha View Post
    Well, what do you know.

I found a lot of drivers and what not through synaptic. Should I just install all of them?
    No, just the one for your printer (the "extra" ones, if I recall correctly).

Beans

Error message in synaptic:

E: kio-umountwrapper: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
    Of course. And the printer doesn't work. I get a que and an icon, but when I try to print, the job is stopped after a few seconds.

Beans
    Distro

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=590793 was my guide to installing a Brother MFC-240-C on Hardy before the drivers were added to the repositories. What I'd suggest is uninstalling the drivers you installed from Synaptic, and using this get the drivers and install. As you are running 8.04, please see the information posted on the FAQ page of the Brother site about the need to create a file which 8.04 apparently doesn't create automatically, which is needed for the driver to correctly install.

Beans

Okay. Thanks again.

Beans

Well, I've made a real hash of things.

It was late last night and I was tired while posting and working with the printer install, and did a few things I probably shouldn't have done. To start with, when I found the brother-cups-wrapper-extra and the brother-lpr-driver-extra in Synaptic I just went ahead and tried to install them directly. Synaptic told me it needed to remove some files and install some files, and I told it to go ahead. Shortly afterwards I got the error message I posted above:

E: kio-umountwrapper: subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 2
    That was in synaptic.

Synaptic is a bit of a mystery to me anyway, I don't really understand it or how/why it removes/installs/reinstalls all of these files with strange names and so forth all the time, so I tend to avoid it. Anyway, I'm not completely sure about what I've done, but I think I partially installed both the lpr-extra and the cups-extra.

avtolle says I should start by uninstalling the drivers I've already installed and then following the instructions at the Brother's FAQ. Problem is I don't know what I've installed, how much has been installed, or how to uninstall the stuff that's there. I don't know how to locate these drivers on my computer with Synaptic -- I don't find them in the list of installed packages.

When I start synaptic it tells me that I have "1570 installed, 0 broken, 0 to install or uppgrade, 1 to remove," and I have no idea why it wants to remove one package; but when I try to apply the changes, I get the following error message:

Let us turn the next problem. When I attempted to install last night, a printer icon showed up (for the first time) in one of my toolbars. So, being a bear of rather little brains, I decided to go ahead and try to print something despite the previous error messages. No dice. As wrote earlier, the document queues up but then stops with the following error message:
    Printer 'DCP-110C': 'cups-missing-filter'
    When I try to cancel the item, I get the following "CUPS server error":
    There was an error during the CUPS operation: 'client-error-not-possible'.
    I suspect that the reason Synaptic can't successfully remove "kio-unmount wrapper" is because there's a document queued in the printer that I can't remove.

Oh, woe is me. Can anyone help the widow's son?

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast