Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: joining NT domain

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: joining NT domain

I have the exact same problem, Garumar (aside from your issue with being unable to resolve your local hostname - I don't have any problems there). My nsswitch.conf file is identical to yours. I have tried entering all the combinations I can think of for my FQDN in the "Domain" box in the Likewise GUI, and none of them have worked. The domainjoin terminal command gives me the same error. This is the output of the error log when I try to connect using the Likewise GUI after entering my Active Directory username and password:

Error code: CENTERROR_DOMAINJOIN_UNRESOLVED_DOMAIN_NAME (0x00080026)

Backtrace:
    main.c:297
    djmodule.c:158
    djfirewall.c:685
    djfirewall.c:609
    djfirewall.c:297

I have the DNS server address in my network configuration set to the address of my domain controller. I haven't been able to find any helpful info about configuring Likewise on Ubuntu, just the same stuff Lord_Dicranius found about using windbind and PAM. I have noticed that I can't ping my AD server by name, don't know if that make any difference or not. I haven't been able to find much info about setting a WINS server for Ubuntu, although I have played around with the WINS settings in smb.conf. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I have no way of sharing files with my Windows 2003 machine until this is resolved.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

I noticed that there is loopback info in host file but it is IPv6?
    I wonder if shuting down IPv6 my rule some things out? We have no compatible IPv6 devices on your network.

What is the easiest way to shut IPv6 off? I will look for an answer if you feel IP6 may be a problem.

And yes, Vaporflux's errors are the same as mine using both cli and gui when trying to join domain.
    Last edited by Garmuar; May 28th, 2008 at 07:06 PM.
    Brown Coats unite! - May Fire Fly live forever

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

I don't think IPv6 is part of the problem, but as you said, might as well rule it out

To disable IPv6:
    Code:
    gksudo gedit /etc/modprobe.d/aliases
    then replace this line:
    Code:
    alias net-pf-10 ipv6
    with this:
    Code:
    alias net-pf-10 off
    and reboot. As for the authentication issues though, I'm at a loss. There's a few other threads on the forums regarding likewise that you could check out (just search for "likewise" or "likewise-open"). Imma try and get something setup here at my house soon to dink around with this though. I'll let you know how my experience goes and any problems that I run into

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Thanks lord_D. I will keep looking for new posts. Do yo have Advanced Server 2000 laying around the house to play with?? lol I wish I did. I have to go to work to tinker with Windows AD and Ubuntu. hehe

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yes, I do have Windows 2k Adv, and a few spare PC's laying around

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

It seems Ubuntu appended a "-desktop" to the machine name when I named it upon creation. I know Microsoft does not like special charectors in names so I removed the "-" making the host name a single word and it worked.

Now it is telling me to open certain ports and I'll be in business.
    Now I have to learn to open ports. LOL

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

hah Awesome! Glad you got it figured out. I just started a new job, so it's been hectic. Sorry I didn't get back sooner.

Beans
    Hidden!

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12