Thread: Possible to use Airport Extreme or similar device with Ubuntu?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Possible to use Airport Extreme or similar device with Ubuntu?

I am planning to go wireless with our house internet connection (two ubuntu laptops, one windows laptop). Does anybody know if the Apple Airport Extreme will work with Ubuntu, and/or whether there are any other manufacturers that offer a similar device (i.e. combined wireless router, ethernet ports, usb port for print server and/or external hard disk)?

With grateful thanks.
    Aridus

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

Re: Possible to use Airport Extreme or similar device with Ubuntu?

I've been meaning to post instructions for a while, and you reminded me. See if this works for you:

http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=802192
    Hate fighting with Linux? Buy Preinstalled!
    Love fighting with Linux? Try Gentoo!

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by aridus View Post
    I am planning to go wireless with our house internet connection (two ubuntu laptops, one windows laptop). Does anybody know if the Apple Airport Extreme will work with Ubuntu, and/or whether there are any other manufacturers that offer a similar device (i.e. combined wireless router, ethernet ports, usb port for print server and/or external hard disk)?

With grateful thanks.
    I would recommend something other than an Airport Extreme - the Airports require the use of a client application to configure (there is an old 3rd party Linux config app written in Java but it's flaky)

I'd go with a Linksys router (WRT54G or equivalent) I think you may have a tough time with storage/print drivers regardless of manufacturer (I've never used any of the consumer APs that share that kind of stuff out though it does seem from googling around that the Linksys printservers will work with Linux) If you don't have a printer yet, you may be well served to look at one with built-in network support, that usually works much better.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

Many thanks for this information. Seems the apple airport extreme may, not therefore be the best option. I already have a combined broad band modem/router (D-Link 500B) that is working fine - what would be the best option therefore? There are some wireless/router/print servers available - can I plug one of these into my D-Link 500B even though it is already a router?

With thanks.
    Aridus