Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: exherbo - new distro in the works

Beans

Re: exherbo - new distro in the works

It's not that we think that other distributions are bad. It's just that we think we can do something that suits our needs better. We've tried, without success, to do this using Gentoo.
    How is this snobbery?

These people have needs that aren't met by current distributions and they are really picky about what they want in an OS. They're not trash talking or excluding anyone per se, they're just making their own work environment that they recognize, quite rightly I assume, won't fit the needs of most people. This is exactly what Linux is about, making it work for you, no matter what your needs are. Exherbo will be beyond me, and probably beyond most anyone here. That's what the site is saying.

Just because a distro doesn't pander to the needs of everyone doesn't mean it's elitist. Don't be so sensitive.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Moved to Other OS Talk.

To those complaining about this project, remember: this isn't meant to be used by anyone now, if ever. It seems like more of a hobby and grounds for experimentation that may turn into something useful, but probably not. The developers were pretty up front about that, and in light of that fact there's really nothing to be that upset about.
    I am aware of all internet traditions. | Getting the best help | Text formatting codes | My last.fm profile
    Should I PM support questions? NO!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

The link to "why it was announced" seems to have been hijacked.

Anyway, I absolutely don't hold it against anyone that they'd want to develop an "in-house" tool. Lots of great software started out as a tool which was used internally in a company for another project. Look at the Radiant map editors for an example. You just have to give it time to mature.

A lot of my programming projects have required me to create other, secondary programs as tools. After a while, the tools evolve and become useful for other projects. As features are added for things I need it for, I'll eventually have an amazingly useful widget. (Actually, what I've made has usually already been done better by someone else-- I find it easier to implement stuff on my own than it is to learn how to use existing stuff. My brain is weird.)

But they definitely could've been more polite. And learned the difference between "paragraph" and "sentence." If you look on their website, the mistake is there.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Quote Originally Posted by PetePete View Post
    great just what the world needs, another distro and package format... greeeaat

funny how linux prides its self on open standards ...
    Meh. Can't hurt all that much, espeically considering how many people use exherbo at this point.
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Yea...they call people "tards"

That's enough for me to know.

Case closed on my end...
    A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    Moved to Other OS Talk.

To those complaining about this project, remember: this isn't meant to be used by anyone now, if ever. It seems like more of a hobby and grounds for experimentation that may turn into something useful, but probably not. The developers were pretty up front about that, and in light of that fact there's really nothing to be that upset about.
    Except for the obvious disrespectful and inflammatory rhetoric. My girlfriend is disabled, and even though it is not a mental disability, anyone who uses words like "tards" in my eyes just lost all credibility. Linux doesn't need people like this representing it anywhere on the web imho.

A computer allows you to make more mistakes faster than any invention in human history - with the possible exceptions of handguns and tequila.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.04 Feisty Fawn

i can safely say i'll never touch that distro.
    People... Get ready for a Revolution

Beans
    Hidden!

I want to try it now
    Website | Blog | The Arch Hurd Project

If you want to ask about something I posted, send a PM, as I don't watch many threads

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by p_quarles View Post
    Moved to Other OS Talk.

Quite agree.

They want it to be what they want it to be and are able to do that. And that's one (of the many) wonderful things about *nix.

I think following the progress of this project will in itself help one (me) to understand how a disto is built from the ground up. So what they post on their site and Planet is of benefit and I appreciate them taking the time to make what they are co-ordinating with each other accessible.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Doesn't change the fact that they are lame for using condescending speech so everyone knows just how "uber advanced" they are compared to us "tards"

Weak. Build your distro in your basement with your little group of friends just don't expect me to respect people who talk like that. Ever.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast