Thread: Collaboration Suite Software?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Collaboration Suite Software?

Hi-

I'm sort of new to the whole server thing, having started a new job. They have asked me to create a web interface for the server that they could pull files off of it and arrange a calendar and such in a pretty GUI. I was researching Zimbra, which has an opensource version. The problem is that most of these collaboration suites focus on e-mail. We already have adequate e-mail usage, and I'm looking for something to simply provide users with news, calendars that everyone can schedule things in to, as well as a place to put documents and such that people could pull them off and download them if they wanted. Is there software like this or should I use something like Zimbra without using the mail functionality?

Furthermore, has anyone used Zimbra? I'm wondering if this will be a good choice for the workplace.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: Collaboration Suite Software?

Zimbra doesn't sound like it would be the best fit. For groupware, I would use Zimbra or possibly Tine2.0 (when it is ready), but their focus is mostly on email and contact management. There are other suites out there designed for calendar and file collaboration, but I can't think of any names off the top of my head. You might search with Google, or look around Slashdot and Freshmeat.net.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Zimbra is a fantastic product, though admittedly it's heavy on e-mail features, but to get a collaboration suite up and running quickly I don't think you can beat it. Yes there are many good alternatives out there also.

If you do decide to go with Zimbra, I can help you if you need some tips or suggestions.

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"

Beans
    Distro

I found this wikipedia article: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of...ative_software

But I was thinking...does Zimbra sort of run as its own software? The problem is they would like to model it like this other website. On this other website, they use Plumtree Collaboration Software and you just go to the website and login and then you view the things. I'm not sure if this is a stupid question, so I'm sorry if it is!

Beans
    Distro

perhaps something like eGroupWare would be better?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Quote Originally Posted by melrom View Post
    perhaps something like eGroupWare would be better?
    eGroupware would be a great choice for what you want to do!

-Tim
    www.pcchopshop.net

Hard to find and obsolete PC and server parts. "If we can't find it, it probably doesn't exist"