Thread: Openvpn can't open tun/tap

Beans

Openvpn can't open tun/tap

I've installed openvpn on Hardy following the instructions here for the general configuration and here for setting up ethernet bridging. When I try to start openvpn, I get this error message:

Sun May 18 22:11:47 2008 Note: Cannot ioctl TUNSETIFF tap0: Device or resource busy (errno=16)
    Sun May 18 22:11:47 2008 Note: Attempting fallback to kernel 2.2 TUN/TAP interface
    Sun May 18 22:11:47 2008 Cannot open TUN/TAP dev /dev/tap0: No such file or directory (errno=2)
    Sun May 18 22:11:47 2008 Exiting
    SIOCADDRT: No such process

These messages were repeated two seconds later, then return to the command prompt.

FWIW, both br0 and tap0 (oh yeah, I set up the server.conf with dev tap0) show activity in Gkrellm.

Any thoughts, pointers, or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

EoRaptor

Beans

Re: Openvpn can't open tun/tap

Umm, while I'm at it, can somebody 'splain to me why Linux won't recognize the second lan card I put in? Dropped the card in another computer (with that other OS) and it seems to work fine. Even device manager has no idea it's there. The card is a Linksys 10/100 LNE100TX.

Thanks.

EoRaptor

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: Openvpn can't open tun/tap

how did you create the tap device and how did you bond it together with a network card ? can you please show the output of

Code:
    ifconfig
    brctl show
    my first guess was that you forgot to start the openvpn process as root - but that is not the error which i get when i start it as non-root.
    So my second guess is that you either created the tap0 wrong or there is a second openvpn process. can you please check that with:
    Code:
    ps aux |grep openvpn
    hope we can figure this
    Calvin: I'm being educated against my will! My rights are being trampled!
    Hobbes: Is it a right to remain ignorant?
    Calvin: I don't know, but I refuse to find out!