Thread: 8.04 and 9800GTX Driver Woes

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Question 8.04 and 9800GTX Driver Woes

I installed 8.04 earlier today, and the resolution autoconfiguration worked fine. My monitor is 1600x1200 and I have a 9800GTX hooked up to it. After installing and running EnvyNG to install the driver I am now trapped in 800x600 with no way of changing the resolution. I stayed away from editing xorg.conf because I don't really know what I'm doing in there.

After using envy to install the display driver (169.12), the Nvidia X Server Settings shows up in System>Administration. Upon running it, an error box says "You do not appear to be using the NVIDIA X driver. Please edit your X configuration file (just run `nvidia-xconfig` as root), and restart the X server."

Well I did that, restarted the x server, and upon running the settings utility again, I get the same message. I still cannot change the resolution.

Any ideas?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Jaunty Jackalope (testing)

Re: 8.04 and 9800GTX Driver Woes

The problem here is that there isn't yet a released nVidia driver that supports your card. You'll need the beta nvidia drivers available here. You'll then need to follow this howto to install these drivers manually.

EDIT: What you're actually seeing is the installed nvidia driver trying to load, failing (because it doesn't know how to drive your card), and then X falling back to the VESA driver, which has all sorts of restrictions - such as limited resolutions - but should work on all hardware.
    Last edited by RAOF; May 20th, 2008 at 02:52 AM. Reason: Be more informative
    Remember: if your problem is not described on a Launchpad bug, it can only be fixed by accident!