Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

Just a note from an Ubuntu moron...I had trouble getting Rubyripper to rip mp3s.
    After following the nice instructions at the HydrogenAudio wiki, I got an error like this

WARNING: Encoding to mp3 exited with an error with track 1!

WARNING: ENCODING ERRORS WERE DETECTED

and no mp3 files were created.

I was running rubyripper 0.5.7 (also tried 0.5.0) with lame 3.9.7 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron.
    Part of my trouble was that I was expecting more output in the logfile when I hit the
    debug flag in the preferences. Didn't even realize that what the Rubyripper manual
    calls "the console window" I call "the terminal"...

Anyway, once that was sorted I found I just needed to comment out the following line
    in rr_lib.rb:

Code:
    tags += "--tv DISCID=\"#{@settings['cd'].discId}\" "
    and then after reinstalling it worked. That option doesn't exist in my version of lame.

Maybe this will help someone who is as confused as I was, if any such beings exist.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Myself, atm am now using abcde, ...
    I'm currently in the process of choosing ripping and burning applications for creating compilations. Mind if I ask why you switched to abcde?

Thanks,
    Jim

Beans

Mind if I ask why you switched to abcde?
    Based on that for various reasons lately I'm encoding to aac using neroAacEnc and atomicparsley for tags.

abcde does a slightly better job (and I mean slightly), more related to how and where the files are saved than the quality of the encodes/ tagging which is about the same.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Based on that for various reasons lately I'm encoding to aac using neroAacEnc and atomicparsley for tags.
    I want to rip to .wav and create CD compilations from those .wav files, so I guess this doesn't apply to my needs?

abcde does a slightly better job (and I mean slightly), more related to how and where the files are saved than the quality of the encodes/ tagging which is about the same.
    RR's big claim to fame appears to be its "secure ripping," which most seem to agree RR does better (read: More thoroughly) than any of the others?

Thanks,
    Jim

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 13.10 Saucy Salamander

For some reason, I can't get Andreas Heck's package to work if the CD is not in the FreeDb. It asks me if I want to change the settings and then the program simply exits. Am I doing something stupid?

:~$ rrip_cli -v
    Verbose output specified.
    Use config file ~/.rubyripper/settings
    Audio-disc found, number of tracks : 17, total playlength : 77:30
    Fetching freedb info...
    No match in Freedb database. Default values are used.
    Do you want to change your settings? (y/n) : [y] n
    :~$

I'm using Lucid. Also, the GUI never successfully detects the CD, even though CLI version does.

ADD: I think my problem is this: http://code.google.com/p/rubyripper/.../detail?id=357

Guess I'll go back to EAC...
    Last edited by ace214; February 5th, 2010 at 08:35 PM.

Beans

Followed instructions, installed (older version) and it don't work.

The frustrating part is it used to work.

Scans drive, reads cd all with no problem.

When I click rip cd now button, nothing happens. absolutely nothing.

As I said it used to work. probably about 5 or 6 ubuntu upgrades ago. I haven't ripped a cd for a couple of months and made recommended upgrades. This includes 0.5.7.

When I wanted to rip a cd, the above happened. I uninstalled 5.7 went down to 5.5 still no luck

I am using 9.10.

I'm fairly new to the ubuntu/linux world. When rubyripper worked it was great, just finished uninstalling the program.

I do have wine installed, and will probably go with EAC as I that works.

Any suggestions as to why the program will not rip my cds??

Thanks

Beans

@ brewmeister
    not sure what you're issue is, rr works fine here on karmic - just installed on a test 64 bit install. (is currently not working as a gui in lucid.

Maybe go into you're home folder and delete the .rubyripper folder (hidden.

If you wish I have a 0.6b all deb on page 9 # 86 (just used it here on the 64 bit tester

If so make sure you fully remove your existing one first (and the .rubyripper folder
    Best way is to right click on the attachment -> 'save link as'

...to work if the CD is not in the FreeDb
    No problem here with that (on karmic
    using a test disk with no cddb info possible, see screen
    Attached Images Attached Images

Beans
    Hidden!

Quote Originally Posted by ucraymond View Post
    Just a note from an Ubuntu moron...I had trouble getting Rubyripper to rip mp3s.
    After following the nice instructions at the HydrogenAudio wiki, I got an error like this

WARNING: Encoding to mp3 exited with an error with track 1!

WARNING: ENCODING ERRORS WERE DETECTED

and no mp3 files were created.

I was running rubyripper 0.5.7 (also tried 0.5.0) with lame 3.9.7 on Ubuntu Hardy Heron.
    Part of my trouble was that I was expecting more output in the logfile when I hit the
    debug flag in the preferences. Didn't even realize that what the Rubyripper manual
    calls "the console window" I call "the terminal"...

Anyway, once that was sorted I found I just needed to comment out the following line
    in rr_lib.rb:

Code:
    tags += "--tv DISCID=\"#{@settings['cd'].discId}\" "
    and then after reinstalling it worked. That option doesn't exist in my version of lame.

Maybe this will help someone who is as confused as I was, if any such beings exist.
    Many, many thanks dude !!
    works like a charm here.

Beans

Just to note that RR is now working fine in lucid (using the 0.6b I posted in post 86
    Too bad they don't allow .debs to be attached any more or I'd update it..

Edit:
    well the gui now works, settings can be made, tracks are ripped but no encoding from gui.
    The cli works fine, and if desired using the -a from cli will use the setting made in gui.
    (so almost fully functional
    Last edited by mc4man; March 11th, 2010 at 01:35 AM.

Beans
    Hidden!

Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper 0.5.0 on Ubuntu 8.04

Quote Originally Posted by Joe View Post
    Anyone else have a problem with the most recent version (0.5.4) stopping before ripping the last track of the cd?
    Here using Rubyripper 0.5.7 with Hardy and with a driver offset of +667 I can't rip and encode the last track of any CD.

Maybe it's a cdparanoia bug.

Googled and can't find any help for this.

If I set the driver offset to 0 the last track is ripped ok, but I think it's quite nonsense using Rubyripper with no driver offset correction.
    Last edited by mahavishnu; March 14th, 2010 at 12:08 AM.

Page 12 of 24 FirstFirst ... 2101112131422 ... LastLast