Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

Exciting news for us: not only has mc4man been so kind as to package Rubyripper for us, but there has been progress on the bug I filed over a year ago. It has now gone from "Confirmed" to "In Progress," and has had a developer sign on.

Exciting!
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu Development Release

Today, Andreas Heck created a PPA for Rubyripper, rendering most of my tutorial obsolete. Check it out here.
    Want a quality CD ripping program for Ubuntu? Check out my how-to: Installing Rubyripper on Ubuntu!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Hi,

I've just installed Rubyripper with Ubuntu 9.04 (because I couldn't handle with parametering bitrate in Sound Juicer).

It looks like good but I would have three more questions :
    1) how do you parameter the bitrate for MP3 (the test with VLC I did renders me a file at 128 kb/s and in Nautilus it's 51 kbps !!!) Personnaly, I would like to rip at 160 kbps.
    2) what is "cuesheet" and is it important ?
    3) is it important to parameter "Cdrom offset" because I didn't find how to.

I'm very sorry for my poor english I hope you can manage with it (you know I'm french !!!).

Thanks for your answers...

Best Regards

Alex

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 16.04 Xenial Xerus

Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper 0.5.0 on Ubuntu 9.04

Thanks, ghindo!
    I was able to follow your instructions the 2nd time I tried--
    My first go did not work, but the 2nd time I used the CLI(terminal) command to 'extract here.' For some reason, it worked where the GUI command did not.

As a side benefit, I finally found out that, while Control C copies in the GUI environment, I need to use [Shift][Insert] to paste text into the terminal command line.

Good work, and thanks again!

Beans

Is there a way to have RubyRipper rip a CD as soon as you put it in the drive?

Beans

Is there a way to have RubyRipper rip a CD as soon as you put it in the drive?
    Pretty simple, a couple of ways.

You can have it run silently in the background or in a visible terminal
    I prefer in the background but there are some limitations there.

Versions 0.5.6 and 0.5.7 have a bug that makes it not possible due to having the -a command not work as intended, this has been fixed in the git and should be in the next release. (0.5.5 works fine with -a

The other limitation is if the same output folder exists, that usually requires user interaction which causes the silent to fail.

Ex.
    Tracks to rip are 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15
    /home/doug/flac/Funk_Brothers_(2004)_Standing_In_The_Shadows_Of_Mo town_(Soundtrack)
    The output directory already exists. What would you like to do?

1) Auto rename the output directory
    2) Overwrite the existing directory
    3) Cancel the rip and eject the disc

Please enter the number of your choice: [1]
    ( possibly there is a command line option for options 1 or 2, documentation is hard to find on rrip_cli (anyone ..?

Basically set your preferences as desired in the gui and then use a small script as a auto run choice or default for audio cd's.

Anyway
    For silent

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    rrip_cli -a
    Edit: this may be a better command depending on rr version (the very latest uses -d, .deb below uses the -a
    rrip_cli -d

for visible (again the deb below uses -a, latest git uses -d

Code:
    #!/bin/bash
    gnome-terminal -e "rrip_cli -a"
    I use a ~/bin so put script in there, the home folder would do. Then just put in an audio cd, hold down the shift button and in the pop up dropdown choose 'open with other application' and browse to your script ( on hardy you need another method to add to default /autorun choices

It's possible that you could enter the command directly, I prefer to use and point to a script

Edit:
    here's a 0.6 beta that would be suitable for silent/background auto rips
    This is a beta but should be fine
    (r, click save link as is best way to dl

The gtk gui is currently broken in lucid, works fine from cli ( you can set it up in the gui, then use the cli to rip & encode

Edit: the gui now works in lucid though it does seem to take much longer to create the md5 and start next trackthan in karmic and earlier - from the cli no such delay

Note that if you happened to want to use this beta version and had previously installed from the above ppa - remove the ppa's rubyripper-gtk package first. The ppa split the cli (rubyripper) and gui (rubyripper-gtk) into 2 separate .deb's. The below beta includes both
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by mc4man; April 26th, 2010 at 03:06 PM. Reason: don't mix ppa gtk .deb and beta 0.6b.2 deb - broken gui in lucid:: gui now works in lucid, though much slower

Beans

This is about set-up. Need help.

Cdrom device

Code:
    /dev/cdrom
    That's the default CD tray of the notebook. However I am using an external CD-DVD connected to a USB. Rubyripper does not detect it and I don't know how to enter it manually. Ubuntu auto-mounts the drive but whatever I enter in the rubyripper options, that does not work.

A little help welcome

Beans

I don't know how to enter it manually
    It may be /dev/cdrom1 or /dev/cdrom2, ect.

with the usb drive connected run this and find out or just trial & error

Code:
    sudo lshw -C disk

Beans

did not work, the only thing that did was

Code:
    /dev/sr1
    BTW, I have installed the PPA link above and I don't have an icon in the applications nor a GUI (ALT + F2 rubyripper), only the cli (rrip_cli) how do you get the full GUI?

Beans

Rubyripper installed great for me, however it seems to be unable to process foreign language characters. Specifically I am ripping some of my Russian CD's and the information looks like this:

Artist =
    Album = 1
    Year = 2006
    Genre = Hip-Hop
    Tracks = 19

01 -
    02 -

Is that a known issue, or should I open a bug on it? The info in the CDDB database is correct. Looks like Rubyripper has problems with the text returned.

Page 9 of 24 FirstFirst ... 789101119 ... LastLast