Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast

Thread: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

Beans

Re: HOWTO: Install Rubyripper on Ubuntu

should I open a bug on it?
    RR isn't an ubuntu package, issues should be posted here

http://code.google.com/p/rubyripper/issues/list

Did you build or install from a package?

RR can be built with multiple locales (translations), whether that would have any effect on your issue don't really know, though I see a ru folder in the build I did. ( have no idea what it's for..?

/usr/share/locale/ru/LC_MESSAGES/rubyripper.mo

Beans

I have installed the lib and the .deb from the ubuntu help doc CDripping. Work fine now, great app!

BTW do you use the preset -Z or keep the field empty (Pass cdparanoia options), Rubyripper v 5.7.1?

Beans

BTW do you use the preset -Z or keep the field empty (Pass cdparanoia options), Rubyripper v 5.7.1?
    Myself, atm am now using abcde, though still have RR and use occasionally for non aac rip & encodes ( while both RR and abcde can use neroAacEnc and AtomicParsley it goes a bit easier in abcde

Anyway as far as -Z, sometimes I leave it out and sometimes add ( results in a faster rip

You have to see what suits you and your cd's better.

A small note on that ppa linked previously

It appears he's broken RR into 2 packages rubyripper (cli) and rubyripper-gtk (gui

While I guess you could make a small case for that, mself don't see the point.

Also cd-discid is just a recommend, if it's not installed it should be if you wish cddb info

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    Anyway as far as -Z, sometimes I leave it out and sometimes add (results in a faster rip) You have to see what suits you and your cd's better.

Also cd-discid is just a recommend, if it's not installed it should be if you wish cddb info
    cd-discid is already installed thanks for the tip

what the purpose of the -Z preset? My CDs are in excellent condition (no scratch) and my drive does not need correction.

Beans

what the purpose of the -Z preset?
    from the man
    -Z --disable-paranoia : disable all paranoia checking
    -Y --disable-extra-paranoia : only do cdda2wav-style overlap checking
    Will make the rip faster, tend to use here on most discs, i know my drive is a good ripper and I'm not generally over concerned about such things for ripping for use on pc ( though did set drive offset

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by mc4man View Post
    from the man
    Will make the rip faster, tend to use here on most discs, i know my drive is a good ripper and I'm not generally over concerned about such things for ripping for use on pc ( though did set drive offset
    I am pushing my questions. Rubyripper already reads the CD twice. Is it in addition of cdparanoia or that is cdparanoia - I am bit confuse.

If that's the first case. What's the point to have 2x reading + cdparanoia (noob question what is the diff. between the Rubuyripper check and and cdparanoia?)

thanks

Beans

It is fairly simple to find any info about cdparanoia to whatever extent you wish.

Maybe start here
    http://www.xiph.org/paranoia/faq.html

How can I tell if my drive would be OK with regular cdda2wav?
    Easy. Run cdparanoia; if the progress meter never shows any characters but the little arrow going across the screen, the CDROM drive is probably one of the (currently) few drives that can read a pristine stream of data off an audio disc regardless of circumstances. This drive will work quite well with cdda2wav (or cdparanoia using the '-Z' option)

A drive that results in a bargraph of all hyphens would *likely* work OK with cdda2wav, but it's less certain.
    Run cdparanoia or RR from cli and check out your drive's performance and symbols

Beans

mc4man, can you explain me in simple terms the difference between cdparanoia and cdda2wav in rubyripper (or other ripping software).

Do I assume correctly that:

1. cdda2wav is the software that does the actual rip (CD -> WAV) some accuracy checks.
    2. cdparanoia is a another software above or next to cdda2wav that also does the actual rip (CD -> WAV) with some accuracy checks.

sorry about it but I am all to confuse. Does rubyripper (or other players) use 2 methodes to rip 1 cd? is it like using 2 spell checkers (same function, but different brands) on a same sentence? Is there not a ripping software that does both in one time (if the preceding was correct)?

Thanks to clarify

from the net

cdparanoia began life as a set of patches to Heiko Eissfeldt's 'cdda2wav' application in late 1994. Cdparanoia gained its own life as a rewrite of cdda2wav in January of 1998 as "Paranoia III". Paranoia has had no real relation to cdda2wav since then.

Beans

Since you created a package, consider create a ppa so more people can use rr, test it and help with development. Either way many thanks to everyone involved in this project.
    Last edited by codedash; December 8th, 2009 at 09:54 AM.

Beans

Is there a way to reset the settings back to default(like deleting the config)?

Page 10 of 24 FirstFirst ... 8910111220 ... LastLast