Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Ubuntu is not ready for average users

Beans

Re: Ubuntu is not ready for average users

Quote Originally Posted by xp_newbie View Post
    Thinking that Ubuntu can ever compete with Windows XP/Vista on the desktop is a joke.

Case in question: I have a 2 year old Lenovo 3000 N100. By now Ubuntu installation should be able to cope with its WiFi detection automagically - just like Windows XP/Vista does.

But no, I have to write this message from my dual booted Windows XP (on that laptop, I am glad I paid the extra $85 for this OEM XP license, came pre-installed from Lenovo) - because Ubuntu 8.04 won't let me do anything with this laptop's WiFi - certainly not present me with available networks in the vicinity in order to select one.

This is crazy. Yeah, the feature that tries to seduce the user to import his/her settings from Windows' "Documents & Settings" is cute, but Ubuntu missed the point: 2-year old hardware must be fully supported - and in a user friendly manner.
    Good news! I had (have) a brand new laptop purchased in the month of its release and Ubuntu worked perfectly with its wireless and graphics. Still does.

I see the word should in your post. A bad sign. It shouldn't do anything. You paid nothing, and anything you get is extra.

By the way, I buy hardware that I know will work and not blindly hope it does. My wireless, video, webcam and printer all work out of the box with no configuring. Windows Vista, on an OEM machine, with a webcam labelled as "certified for Windows Vista" fails to use it. It is constantly saying no drivers are found (although they are installed) and it seems to matter which USB port I use. Having 20 of them, that is a tall order.

Windows Vista: $150 and the hardware is certified for it. It doesn't work well.
    Ubuntu (and other distros): Free, no guarantees and all hardware works out of the box.

I don't expect this will all hardware in existance.

It seems that you aren't ready for Ubuntu...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

You should demand a refund!

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

My grandfather never used a computer before in his life, I got him one of those ubuntu dells, and he loves the thing, he has no problem with it, and he uses it all the time.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 is Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by OoooMatron View Post
    The joke is Linux supports loads of devices that are closed source out of the box (unlike Windows) and it's smart to try and pick hardware that runs perfectly on Linux from the outset.

thats very true, most linux distros almost always detect the wired network card automatically. When I install windows on a desktop, I would say that about half of them can't even detect the wired network card without getting the correct driver, and usually to get he correct driver, I put in a ubuntu CD, download the driver from the internet onto a thumbdriver, and then install the driver. Ubuntu IS more compatible out of the box than windows is.

Beans

Thumbs up Re: Ubuntu 8.04 is Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    How about doing a search of the forums since this is a very well documented problem with workaround?
    Hmmm... The problem may be "well documented", but not the solution.

I did actually do an exhaustive search first prior to posting my question, but it yieled of "solutions" that didn't work in my case.

I even tried:

Code:
    sudo apt-get install linux-backports-modules-hardy-generic
    But it failed for some reason. But then, thanks to you:

Quote Originally Posted by kevdog View Post
    Here's a hint:
    http://linuxtechie.wordpress.com/200...-ubuntu-hardy/

Im not sure why I am responding to this thread since it really goes against the thing I hate most about the forums.
    I found out why it fails. Now you know why you responded.

Thanks!
    Ubuntu 6.06.1 LTS (Dapper Drake) running on:
    > ASUS P4P800-E Deluxe (Promise 1+0 Stripe/RAID0)
    Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron) running on:
    > Lenovo 3000 N100 (type 0768, model 36U)

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by xp_newbie View Post
    It has been 2 years now since I started toying with Ubuntu. Prior to this I used Linux for over 10 years... and I must say:

Thinking that Ubuntu can ever compete with Windows XP/Vista on the desktop is a joke.

Case in question: I have a 2 year old Lenovo 3000 N100. By now Ubuntu installation should be able to cope with its WiFi detection automagically - just like Windows XP/Vista does.

But no, I have to write this message from my dual booted Windows XP (on that laptop, I am glad I paid the extra $85 for this OEM XP license, came pre-installed from Lenovo) - because Ubuntu 8.04 won't let me do anything with this laptop's WiFi - certainly not present me with available networks in the vicinity in order to select one.

This is crazy. Yeah, the feature that tries to seduce the user to import his/her settings from Windows' "Documents & Settings" is cute, but Ubuntu missed the point: 2-year old hardware must be fully supported - and in a user friendly manner.

OK - enough ranting. I am sure I can solve this WiFi problem somehow, but what about "average joe"? Is this how Ubuntu plans to fight the Microsoft monopoly?

BTW, this was a CLEAN INSTALL of Ubuntu 8.04, not an upgrade (from the previously installed 7.04).
    I totally agree with you. Linux can be really great and easy when it works on your computer... and can cause a lot of frustration when it doesn't. I had a very tough time trying to get wireless to work, and Hardy is the first distro that has supported my card and the ability to change networks without rebooting.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

I am rather new to Linux and I may be blessed that most of my Vaio functions work out of the box ( except the Hot keys..needs to spend time to investigate..and the Pro duo memory stick, should come soon though), but as I read in a previous post, IT IS FREE NO $ or Euros to fork out!!!!
    Linux IS READY for the average user...It requires a little patience and perseverance, because it is a different OS, but saying it is not ready is absolutely untrue!!! My wife, who is/was an XP girl is ready to give it a shot on dual boot to start with, that to me says a lot!!!
    People complain about this function/hardware not supported, but I believe most distributions works for mainstream and unmodified systems!!!
    Anyway, when you buy a PC with MS pre-installed, it always contains proprietary drivers or software from the manufacturer designed to work with MS, never for Linux, so it is a blessing that we are able to have something to work with under Linux given these circumstances.

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Ubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

xp is xp
    linux is linux
    we don't want linux to be like xp, that sucks.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

the average users are not ready for Ubuntu (and generally speaking, Linux)
    The limits of my language mean the limits of my world

Beans

Re: Ubuntu 8.04 is Amazing

Quote Originally Posted by piratesmack View Post
    If you feel it can't compete with XP/Vista, then why are you using it?

Oh and about your wireless problem, have you tried ndiswrapper?
    I wish some Linux users would quit insulting people who are trying to use Linux. We aren't all geniuses, but people in a forum should TRY to be nice to others. I know I've posted some stoopid things, but always have heard back from someone who wants to HELP. Saying, essentially, "If you're not happy, just go away," is NOT going to promote the use of Ubuntu -- the user will go find a distro which has a friendlier forum.

My devalued $0.02.

Moss
    Every time I hear the word "Progress" my fur bristles!

Page 2 of 8 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast