Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: [SOLVED] When opening folder top bar disappears

Beans

[SOLVED] When opening folder top bar disappears

Hi
    When I open a folder any folder the top and bottom bars disappear all of the sudden.And they don't come back unless i exit out of the folder.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.04 Lucid Lynx

Re: When opening folder top bar disappears

Very strange.

I will need a lot more information to diagnose.

Beans

Well im using hardy heron 8.04 used the dvd image. It is a toshiba satellite P105-S6024 laptop. Has an Intel 945GM graphics card running on external monitor internal cracked so i just took it off and am using the vga port (1024x768 ) resolution max.
    Whenever I go to say places>Home folder or any folder when it opens the top and bottom bars disappear. When i alt-tab to say firefox they come back i've tried right clicking and resizing but no luck.
    Just ask me if you need anymore information.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Lizard787; May 19th, 2008 at 12:55 AM. Reason: emotion automatically put on

Beans

Do you use effects? Do you have installed Emerald?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by AstralliS View Post
    Do you use effects? Do you have installed Emerald?
    This looks like a problem with Compiz. Go to System --> Preferences --> Appearance --> Visual Effects and set it to "none" and see if that corrects the problem.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

Ive never heard of emerald. So i don't think so. And turning off effects didnt work either.
    All i have installed is maybe an updated alsa sound wasnt working never did get it fixed. gFTP, Wine, gmount-iso.
    Last edited by Lizard787; May 19th, 2008 at 01:11 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Lizard787 View Post
    Ive never heard of emerald. So i don't think so. And turning off effects didnt work either.
    All i have installed is maybe an updated alsa sound wasnt working never did get it fixed. gFTP, Wine, gmount-iso.
    Emerald is required to get Compiz to work with KDE. It shouldn't be a factor here. Try this... use Alt+F2 and type in
    Code:
    metacity --replace
    to completely turn off Compiz. I'm 99% sure that Compiz is the problem... I'm just not yet sure why.
    "When you dual-boot Windows, Windows exists along side of Linux. When you use VirtualBox, Windows exists at the pleasure of Linux." -- ThomasAaron @ System76

Beans

Screen flashed but the bars still were gone.

Beans

Strange issue but it seems others have experienced it as well. This thread contains a solution which has worked for others, hope it helps.

Personally I didn't even know nautilus had a fullscreen mode but in firefox and some other apps you use the F11 key to toggle fullscreen, perhaps nautilus has the same feature although I didn't find any info in my brief google search.
    Registered Linux User #464572
    journal.ryanhaigh.net
    www.ryanhaigh.net

Beans

Thanks it seems to be working now!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast