Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: file server with NTFS and EXT in same HD

Beans

file server with NTFS and EXT in same HD

NTFS partition?
    hi, i am traying to configure a file server.

I have read this post: http://howtoforge.com/ubuntu-home-fileserver
    that is some kind of tutorial to get the same results, but the article point to the use of 2 HD, one for linux system and the 2nd. in NTFS formar to store the shared folders and files, that in order to read the HD with the NTFS partition in any windows based machine in case of any crash.

I have two question.
    1) what do you think about the mix: linux - NTFS that the article describes?

2) I have a 1TB WD green disk, may i have 2 partitions one wiht linux system an the other with NTFS partition and configure the samba to write the shared files and folders to that partition?

Please be kind i am very... very... very... newby too and i am trying to learn.
    Thanks a lot for your help.
    Best regards.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

Re: file server with NTFS and EXT in same HD

I agree with how the article did most of the configurations. Mixing NTFS in with linux is much better than it used to be. I read the partitions from my dual boot all the time and have no problems. Also you definately need to have both the NTFS and ext3 as you dont want to be installing ubuntu into an NTFS partition. As for how to partition your 1TB drive I would go with 30 GB ext3 (ubuntu) and give the rest to NTFS. 30 GB is a gives you plenty of extra space should you want to install other stuff into the partition. It is annoying to have to make partitions larger.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

Thanks a lot tamoneya for your post.

I have another question if you have some time:

1) In the tutorial the steps show are for configuring samba with 2 HD, any idea how to configure it with one HD and two partitions?

2) if any crash occure can i read the ntfs partition in any windows machine, am i right?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

basically you make two partitions: /dev/hda1 and /dev/hda2 instead of /dev/hda1 and /dev/hdb1. That is the only real main difference between doing it with one harddrive versus two.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5

Beans

Thanks a lot tamoneya.

One last quetion.

All my machines in my network are windows vista ultimate. Do i need Samba to share the ntfs partition of my file server?

I ask that because my undestanting of sambas is that you need it to share files between linux and windows machines (EXT and NTFS partitions), but in my case i only have windows machines and linux file server with one shared ntfs partition.

Hope i had express well my idea.

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Hi,

I read the very same howto the other day and I have just installed my old computer with ubuntu and samba. However, I can't get it to work. In the last sentence in chapter 9, he says: "now you can access your fileserver from internet explorer". What I want to do is access the shared directory by mapping a drive letter to it from Windows explorer on my XP box. That should be possible, right?

When I try that I get a log in screen for the server (which I don't think I should) and when trying to log in with linux userID/password (same as Samba userID/password) I get an error message that the network path could not be found. What I want is for the directory on the linux box to be accessible for everyone in the workgroup without having to log in.

I'll appreciate any comments to this.

Thanks

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

samba will allow you to see the linux machine and specified directories through network neighborhood(i think thats what ist called its been a while).

Beans
    Distro
    Xubuntu 7.10 Gutsy Gibbon

Yes, I see the name of my Ubuntu machine when I try to map, so I'm pretty sure the networking part is ok.

My smb.conf looks like this (the part that I added, rest is default)
    -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
    [hdb public hard disk]
    comment = Public Folder
    path = media/store
    public = yes
    writable = yes
    create mask = 0777
    directory mask = 0777
    force user = nobody
    force group = nogroup
    guest ok = yes
    -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

In the log file (/var/log/samba/log.xxx) I get the following messages:
    -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-
    [2008/05/17 22:14:56, 0] lib/util_sock.c:write_data(562)
    write_data: write failure in writing to client 192.168.15.10. Error Connection
    reset by peer
    [2008/05/17 22:14:56, 0] lib/util_sock.c:send_smb(769)
    Error writing 4 bytes to client. -1. (Connection reset by peer)
    [2008/05/17 22:15:52, 0] smbd/service.c:make_connection(1191)
    colt (192.168.15.10) couldn't find service media
    -o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-o-

192.168.15.10 is my XP box. I'm not sure how to interpret this.

Beans

I read the very same howto the other day and I have just installed my old computer with ubuntu and samba. However, I can't get it to work. In the last sentence in chapter 9, he says: "now you can access your fileserver from internet explorer". What I want to do is access the shared directory by mapping a drive letter to it from Windows explorer on my XP box. That should be possible, right?

When I try that I get a log in screen for the server (which I don't think I should) and when trying to log in with linux userID/password (same as Samba userID/password) I get an error message that the network path could not be found. What I want is for the directory on the linux box to be accessible for everyone in the workgroup without having to log in.

I'll appreciate any comments to this.

Thanks[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE=pas_paa;4991046]Hi,
    I have the same question, because i had seen tutorial where you actualy map the drive, but i realy do not how with samba. And i realy do not know if i should install samba to share a ntfs partition.

Look at this tutorial:

http://www.linuxjournal.com/article/8590

http://www.linux-watch.com/news/NS9015653445.html

http://www.howtoforge.com/samba_setup_ubuntu_5.10_p3

Beans

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast