Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789

Thread: Auto Wallpaper changer of ubuntu

Beans

Question Re: Auto Wallpaper changer of ubuntu

i used wallpaper_tray but i made some changes in it's preferences and the wall papers change very raipdly( like each every sec) and it is not even allowing me to open preferences or to do right click on it.. how can i reset preferences in any other way.. i'm newbie to linux so can any 1 explain clearly procedure..

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Auto Wallpaper changer of ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by sandeepraj View Post
    i used wallpaper_tray but i made some changes in it's preferences and the wall papers change very raipdly( like each every sec) and it is not even allowing me to open preferences or to do right click on it.. how can i reset preferences in any other way.. i'm newbie to linux so can any 1 explain clearly procedure..
    I'm not that familiar with wallpaper_tray, but the two ways programs usually store their preferences is in dot folders in your home directory, or in gconf. Go to your home folder and go View -> Show Hidden Files. Look for something like ".wallpapertray". Also check the .config and the .gnome2 folders. If you find it, delete it, then restart wallpaper tray (ie, logout and login). If you don't find anything, run "gconf-editor" (Alt+F2) and search around in there for its settings.
    Site | My PHP Framework
    "…the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." -Linus Torvalds

Beans

wow.. thanx guywithcabel.. gconf-editor worked.
    jst want to clarify do all preferences of ubuntu programs changed from gconf-editor? and what else can we do in it?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by sandeepraj View Post
    wow.. thanx guywithcabel.. gconf-editor worked.
    jst want to clarify do all preferences of ubuntu programs changed from gconf-editor? and what else can we do in it?
    Not all of them. In fact, most don't use it. Gnome programs will use it, but most other programs use a dot directory in your home folder. Also, system stuff, like servers, store their settings in the /etc directory.
    Site | My PHP Framework
    "…the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." -Linus Torvalds

Beans

This is becoming frustrating.
    I was first introduced to the XML wallpaper slideshows when I noticed the Cosmos wallpaper after doing a fresh install of Karmic. I was intrigued and amazed. The pictures were horrible, but the idea was beautiful.

Since then, I've been looking for more information on the XML wallpaper concept, and the best I've been able to find is the Day of Ubuntu stuff (which is fantastic).

Why are there no resources describing how to fully utilize the XML file? And why isn't this a more prominent feature? I got so excited when I saw the XML-Wall app here, only to find out it doesn't work.
    I'd use wallpaper-tray but I can't stand how it has to be visible on a panel.

Does anyone know where we can find better resources on this? And how to elongate the transition effects? I'm sad the best answer people have is to set a cron-tab and use .py scripts. While I am not opposed to using such actions, this should be a prominent and easy-to-access feature, especially being that it is already inherent within Gnome.
    As the fellow above mentioned doing a Desktop Linux presentation, wouldn't it be a great attraction to... make this easy?

Beans
    Distro
    Kubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by angry_johnnie View Post
    There is a really nice app available in the repos, called wallpaper-tray.

It stays on the system tray, and looks for images in any directory of your choice, and then changes them at certain user-specified intervals (the minimum interval being 1 minute).

There is another one, called gbackground, which does the same, but can be set to change the background image at a faster rate (any given number of seconds --even 1 second). It is also available in the repositories.

A, perhaps, "geekier" approach, would be to write an xml file to set the background and then change it after some time, with --even-- a nice fade in/out transition. Then you could just go to system > preferences > appearance > background > add > all files, and select your xml script.

It would look something like this:

Code:
    <background>
        <static>
            <duration>1.0</duration>
            <file>/background/image/one</file>
        </static>    
        <transition>
            <duration>2.0</duration>
            <from>/background/image/one</from>
            <to>/background/image/two</to>
        </transition>
        <static>
            <duration>2.0</duration>
            <file>/background/image/two</file>
        </static>
        <transition>
            <duration>2.0</duration>
            <from>/background/image/two</from>
            <to>/background/image/one</to>
        </transition>
        <static>
            <duration>1.0</duration>
        </static>
    </background>
    where duration is measured in seconds.

But then, if you ask me, I'd say wallpaper-tray.
    It's a lot easier.
    I should try that script....
    Spoiler: Highlight to read
    Congratulations, you have found the secret message! It contains absolutely nothing useful!

Beans

That script works nice! But i'm lazy... I've automated the process writing a python script though it's a very simple command-line script.

I've uploaded it to sourceforge so you can download it if you want.

https://sourceforge.net/projects/pyslidemaker/

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by angry_johnnie View Post
    There is a really nice app available in the repos, called wallpaper-tray.

It stays on the system tray, and looks for images in any directory of your choice, and then changes them at certain user-specified intervals (the minimum interval being 1 minute).

There is another one, called gbackground, which does the same, but can be set to change the background image at a faster rate (any given number of seconds --even 1 second). It is also available in the repositories.

A, perhaps, "geekier" approach, would be to write an xml file to set the background and then change it after some time, with --even-- a nice fade in/out transition. Then you could just go to system > preferences > appearance > background > add > all files, and select your xml script.

It would look something like this:

Code:
    <background>
        <static>
            <duration>1.0</duration>
        </static>    
        <transition>
            <duration>2.0</duration>
            <from>/background/image/one</from>
            <to>/background/image/two</to>
        </transition>
        <static>
            <duration>2.0</duration>
            <file>/background/image/two</file>
        </static>
        <transition>
            <duration>2.0</duration>
            <from>/background/image/two</from>
            <to>/background/image/one</to>
        </transition>
        <static>
            <duration>1.0</duration>
        </static>
    </background>
    where duration is measured in seconds.

But then, if you ask me, I'd say wallpaper-tray.
    It's a lot easier.

Erm... how would that xml file tell the wallpaper app or whatever it is to change the background image i just don't understand. could you explain how it works a bit please?

Beans
    Hidden!

The XML code is just a skeleton (I think), and not actually meant to run.
    AMD Phenom II X4 B55 3.4GHz, 8GB RAM, Galaxy NVIDIA GT620 2GB, Biostar A880G+ mobo, dual-booting LinuxMint 14 Nadia MATE 64-bit , Windows 7 64-bit.

Beans

I built a small C program that does what we need. In other words, from given folder with pictures it creates 2 xml files in folders:
    1) "/usr/share/backgrounds/"
    2) "/usr/share/gnome-background-properties/"
    Which specify pictures in random order, time of showing and transition time, given by user.
    It also can delete existing collections(xml files) of pictures with command-line switch: "-r".
    You can read help info
    Code:
    ./wallpapers --help
    Instructions:
    1) Extract it from archive.
    2) Compile it for your system with
    Code:
    make
    3) Use example
    Code:
    sudo ./wallpapers -cn \"wallpapers 4.9.2010\" -cp \"/media/D/Wallpapers/4.9.2010\" -vt 45 -tt 0
    4) Choose the collection in "Appearance Preferences".
    I plan to make it possible combining few folders to one collection.
    For bug reports and suggestions, contact me: alexds9@gmail.com.
    Attached Files Attached Files

Page 9 of 9 FirstFirst ... 789