Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Auto Wallpaper changer of ubuntu

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Re: Auto Wallpaper changer of ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by tweak View Post
    the hell with that, screen real estate is more important to me
    Haha. Yeah. It's too bad though, cause Mac OS X pulls it off pretty nicely even with huge pictures.
    Site | My PHP Framework
    "…the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." -Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Quote Originally Posted by guywithcable View Post
    Haha. Yeah. It's too bad though, cause Mac OS X pulls it off pretty nicely even with huge pictures.
    Yeah I'm the token linux user in an office full of mac zealots. Gotta admit some things are done well on osx, and they seize every opportunity to make mention of those things and rub it in.....the *******
    ARG! TOO MUCH PRESSURE!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by tweak View Post
    Yeah I'm the token linux user in an office full of mac zealots. Gotta admit some things are done well on osx, and they seize every opportunity to make mention of those things and rub it in.....the *******
    There's always one thing they'll never, ever beat... the price.

not to mention, the filesystem support, compiz fusion, the package managers, the community, the customization, the various distributions, the free learning resources, etc.
    Site | My PHP Framework
    "…the Linux philosophy is 'laugh in the face of danger'. Oops. Wrong one. 'Do it yourself'. That's it." -Linus Torvalds

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

haha preaching to the choir bro!
    ARG! TOO MUCH PRESSURE!

Beans

Smile Re: Auto Wallpaper changer of ubuntu

There's always one thing they'll never, ever beat... the price.

not to mention, the filesystem support, compiz fusion, the package managers, the community, the customization, the various distributions, the free learning resources, etc.
    Speaking of the "free learning resources..."

I have taken the liberty to borrow your script...
    and then I took the liberty to re write it...
    and finally I took the liberty to make a debian package out of it...

I kept your name in there, although I didn't include your email... but you can add that later (and then we can call that version 1.02 ).

I can still think of a few things to add to it... but then I'm moving to another town... like... right now... (I shouldn't even be here, really), so that means I won't have time to sit down and think about it for at least another three or four days. So, why don't you try it and see what you can make of it.

I have also attached a compressed folder with all the included files. I would have written a changelog... but then I'm lazy like that ... no... really I have to get going.

If you install it, you'll find it under System > Preferences > XML Wall.

Cheers

P.S. I just came back to warn you: Don't you dare make fun of my silly icon... it's a work of aht!
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Last edited by angry_johnnie; August 23rd, 2008 at 09:35 AM. Reason: remembered something
    Don't eff with The Cult...

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Thumbs down Re: Auto Wallpaper changer of ubuntu

Very nice! I made a few modifications and fixed a bug when you give it a folder path with a space. I also wrote error protection for it. I drew a new icon that is a little more relevant to its name. (BTW I like the name) Also included my email. Here is version 1.02 and source.

PS: The icon you have isn't bad, it's just not relevant.
    Last edited by guywithcable; August 24th, 2008 at 09:48 AM.
    Site | My PHP Framework

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

So how difficult would it be to get XML Wall included in an Ubuntu repository?
    Site | My PHP Framework

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Very nice! I made a few modifications and fixed a bug when you give it a folder path with a space. I also wrote error protection for it. I drew a new icon that is a little more relevant to its name. (BTW I like the name) Also included my email. Here is version 1.02 and source.

PS: The icon you have isn't bad, it's just not relevant.

It isn't working for me. I get an error message during the xml file creation. There is "wallpaper-set.temp" file in the xml-wall directory, but it is empty.

Edit: Apparently you cannot specify a name with spaces. That is why it wasn't working. Works perfectly now.

How difficult would be to create several xml files and schedule a different file for each day of the week? I want to load a different set of images each day.
    Last edited by lovinglinux; September 7th, 2008 at 12:41 PM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Studio 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post
    How difficult would be to create several xml files and schedule a different file for each day of the week? I want to load a different set of images each day.
    After some research, here it is how to load different xml-wall sets on a daily basis:

1 - Run System > Preferences > XML Wall and create one set of images for each day with the following names (without quotes):

"mon", "tue", "wed", "thu", "fri", "sat" and "sun"

2 - Type the following command in the Terminal to create a file named .change.cron

Code:
    gedit .change.cron
    3 - Add the following lines to the file, replacing "/home/me/" with your user path

Code:
    01 00 * * 0 gconftool -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /home/me/.xml-wall/sun.xml
    01 00 * * 1 gconftool -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /home/me/.xml-wall/mon.xml
    01 00 * * 2 gconftool -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /home/me/.xml-wall/tue.xml
    01 00 * * 3 gconftool -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /home/me/.xml-wall/wed.xml
    01 00 * * 4 gconftool -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /home/me/.xml-wall/thu.xml
    01 00 * * 5 gconftool -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /home/me/.xml-wall/fri.xml
    01 00 * * 6 gconftool -t string -s /desktop/gnome/background/picture_filename /home/me/.xml-wall/sat.xml
    You can tweak the exact time the wallpaper set will be changed by replacing the first four values on each line above.

This is how a cron job is layed out:

minute (0-59), hour (0-23, 0 = midnight), day (1-31), month (1-12), weekday (0-6, 0 = Sunday), command

In this example the cron job will change the wallpaper set every day at the first minute after midnight. I'm not sure if the machine needs to be turned on to work if you set a specific hour and minute, but if you set the second value to "*" it will run the script every hour.

4 - Run System > Preferences > Sessions and add a startup program like the one below. Don't forget to replace "/home/me" with your user path.

Name: XML Wall Daily Cron
    Command: crontab /home/me/.change.cron
    Comment: XML Wall cron job for daily xml file

That's it. There is probably a more elegant way of doing this, but this is the best I could do.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.10 Karmic Koala

Quote Originally Posted by lovinglinux View Post

It isn't working for me. I get an error message during the xml file creation. There is "wallpaper-set.temp" file in the xml-wall directory, but it is empty.

Edit: Apparently you cannot specify a name with spaces. That is why it wasn't working. Works perfectly now.

Thanks for telling me about that error. I've fixed it and released 1.02.1 (Attached) which will let you specify a file name with spaces. Now there should be no problem with spaces anywhere.

The daily set feature would be pretty cool. I could try to expand the script to automate that process as well.
    Site | My PHP Framework

Page 3 of 9 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast