Thread: ubuntu 7.10

Beans

ubuntu 7.10

i m really new to ubuntu i just installed it this morning i got rid of my xp for it.so all i go is ubuntu.i had some problems and just wanted to get some advice from some people.when i boot up it stay in a black screen for a long time maybe like 5mins then it goes the sign on screen,is it possible to make it go faster?another question, is they're anyway i can make my font smaller when i login,bcoz the font is like really big i cant even see what i am typing..if anybody can help me i would nice..thank you

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 9.04 Jaunty Jackalope

Re: ubuntu 7.10

Hum that is real strange?

What video card do you have? I hope someone that has had this problem before can help you.
    Thinkpad W510, i7-720QM, Nvidia Quadro FX 880m (nouveau), Intel X25-M G2 80GB (OCZ are better), 1080p Wacom Multi-Touch Screen, Intel Centrino Advanced-N + WiMAX 6250, Yubikey OTP

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

There is a pretty in depth thread here: http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=89491. However I do not recommend you do this at the moment since it isnt recommened for a newbie. It makes a nice read. What you should do however is http://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=531453 look at post #3.
    Code:
    sudo apt-get install bootchart
    Then post the chart here. This will tell us what is going slowly and what we need to fix.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans

Odd issues. Is your screen resolution correct? If not then go to System -> Administration -> Restricted Drivers Manager, and see if there is any to install.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.10 Intrepid Ibex

there is a bug in gutsy at boot that the splash screen wants to show at 1280x1024, if your monitor does not support this resolution it takes forever to get to the login screen. the fix is to edit the file /etc/usplash.conf to look like this:
    Code:
    # Usplash configuration file
    xres=800
    yres=600
    this will cause the splash screen to show and it will boot much faster. As for the problem with the large text, see if it still persists after the boot fix, it may be part of the same problem.
    if ignorance is bliss, where are all the happy people
    Jeremy

Beans

Last edited by AznPat; May 18th, 2008 at 06:03 AM.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 8.04 Hardy Heron

you have to upload the file from your filesystem. Upload it as an attachement.
    Desktop: Q6600 OC: 343 x 9, 4 GB RAM, 8600 GTS Twinview (22",17"), 1.5 TB RAID 5
    Laptop: Lenovo T61 T7300 @ 2 GHz, 2GB RAM, Nvidia 140M Quadro, 160 GB harddrive
    Remember to mark posts as [SOLVED] when your problem is resolved

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 12.04 Precise Pangolin

Quote Originally Posted by empthollow View Post
    there is a bug in gutsy at boot that the splash screen wants to show at 1280x1024, if your monitor does not support this resolution it takes forever to get to the login screen. the fix is to edit the file /etc/usplash.conf to look like this:
    Code:
    # Usplash configuration file
    xres=800
    yres=600
    this will cause the splash screen to show and it will boot much faster. As for the problem with the large text, see if it still persists after the boot fix, it may be part of the same problem.
    I agree this is the most likely problem.

See here to edit: http://ubuntuforums.org/showpost.php...&postcount=106