Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Is Ubuntu Still too thin?

Is Ubuntu Still too thin?

So we cant post directly to recurring discussions? We can only post there by 'getting in trouble' so to speak? Thats kind of silly.

Anyway, I think the Ubuntu CD is just right....Why not use all of the space that fits on the disk? Its not like 700mb, even unpacked, is going to bog down a modern low end system from the last 7 years....and that is the majority of people in the western world, so its a good idea to have a full featured and rich OS for the masses rather than trying to make your ultra light weight version the default....other groups have that focus and its fine that they do.

But what about the Ubuntu DVD version? What if I want a much fatter installation just loaded with support for anything i can think of, and an impressive array of useful apps depending on my needs.....The only version that is "fat enough" here is Ubuntu Studio.....but what about a fully loaded office version, developer version or gamer version? What if you have dial up and want it all on the DVD instead of your network connection?

I think we need some fatter specialty distros just loaded with codecs and drives, to the extent that is legal, and allow the rest to be in Multiverse with a disclaimer to check your local laws first.

Beans

Re: Is Ubuntu Still too thin?

I use Ubuntu Studio for my home PC, with basic Lucid on all my 5 other back up drives at the moment.

Theres a gaming remix somewhere (Ubuntu Ultimate editon) an all formats remix (Mint) developer version... Aside from odd programming tools, Ubuntu Studio covers it mostly. Developers tend to be picky about software too.
    Last edited by Naiki Muliaina; July 31st, 2010 at 01:21 PM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by Nick_Jinn View Post
    Its not like 700mb, even unpacked, is going to bog down a modern low end system from the last 7 years....
    It doesn't take a large program to eat up all your resources. A program that is a few KB on your hard drive can use up megs and megs of memory and drive the processor to its maximum.

In other words, 700 MB is not much in regards to storage space, but there is a lot more to consider than hard drive real-estate.

Beans

I would like an 'offline install capable' DVD such as OpenSUSE has. That is pretty fat.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Quote Originally Posted by NightwishFan View Post
    I would like an 'offline install capable' DVD such as OpenSUSE has. That is pretty fat.
    fat or phat?

Yeah, an offline DVD would be nice.
    Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You. - Dr. Seuss

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu 22.04 Jammy Jellyfish

As far as I'm concerned the problem with any download of a CD or DVD image file, is that having first downloaded, secondly burned to disk, and thirdly installed to hard disk, there is then always the first huge download straight away of maybe hundreds of MBs of upgrades and updated applications, some of which I do not use and perhaps do not want.

The bigger the installation, the bigger the size of the download of upgrades needed; great for those with no download cap, but for some of us that could be a problem.

Stick with what we have now, in my opinion.

So we cant post directly to recurring discussions?
    Click here and then click on' New Thread' to start a new post in Recurring Discussions.

If you were having a problem getting to the site, something seems to have been down, but it works for me.
    Learning is not attained by chance, it must be sought for with ardor and attended to with diligence. Abigail Adams ( 1744 - 1818 ), 1780;

My blog Poetry and More Free Ubuntu Magazine

Beans
    Hidden!
    Distro
    Xubuntu

So we cant post directly to recurring discussions? We can only post there by 'getting in trouble' so to speak? Thats kind of silly.
    You can report your own thread to be moved - no mention of trouble.

Quote Originally Posted by Sef View Post
    Click here and then click on' New Thread' to start a new post in Recurring Discussions.
    Works for us Sef - but not normal users.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 10.10 Maverick Meerkat

*SNIP*
    If it's a recurring discussion, why don't you just reply to one of the discussions in recurring discussions?

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

I think you underestimate how many Ubuntu users are NOT in the modernized West.

Also, quite enough software fits onto the CD. I find that everyone installs different things after they're done with the installation (outside of restricted extras). So it would be pointless to have a larger DVD, since it wouldn't have the applications you want on it anyway.

Oh wait, GIMP isn't included anymore... DVD ALL THE WAY!! (jk, I think it's more important to keep it down to size, many people who use Ubuntu have it on older computers that can't take a DVD)

I dunno', the server space and bandwidth to maintain a whole other version... just use a spinoff with the applications you like. We're making it hard enough for Canonical as it is. :\

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast