Thread: Got K3b to rip DVDs in Gutsy Gnome... finally!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Thumbs down Got K3b to rip DVDs in Gutsy Gnome... finally!

This was chapping me that I couldn't get it to work. I tried some suggestions online but they just could not work for me. Well I found this one:

http://blogbeebe.blogspot.com/2007/1...buntu-710.html

And this totally works. I felt like I was installing half of KDE but it's cool. I ripped a DVD short played and looked great and now I'm into a bigger 2 hour movie length DVD rip.

So far so good!

BTW if you look long enough and hard enough someone has figured out how to fix the problem you're having!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 11.04 Natty Narwhal

Re: Got K3b to rip DVDs in Gutsy Gnome... finally!

Well I ran a bunch of tests ripping with K3b and it's just not that good unfortunately, and after all the hassle I went through to get it installed no less. It's pretty slow at ripping and the size varies so much. Kept tweaking but never found a sweet spot.

My best ripping is a combination of DVDFab HD Decrypter to get it to the hard drive and then HandBrakeCLI with some tweaked settings. Looks good and I'm getting every disk this way. I know I could go straight from the disk with HB but it's crazy slow that way. Running from the HD goes much faster and DVDFab is pretty quick in its own right.

But for those who want to try K3b ripping, the link above is your best bet.