Thread: 88888virus?

Beans

88888virus?

last night i was on line and i typed in a web address and a stream of 8's started streaming across the address bar.I was using Firefox so i switched desktops and tried Epiphany browser with same results with streaming 8's but now my mouse wouldnt work on anything and since i dont know any command line escapes i powered off and restarted and everything was back to normal.What did i run across?Was it a virus or just some bug?

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

Re: 88888virus?

Thats not virus I think. Mouse does not work means system freezes and web browser doesnot work properly means something related to browser itself.

Do not be fear.

Beans

Sounds like a buffer overflow attempt.

Beans
    Distro
    Hardy Heron (Ubuntu Development)

I'm sure you've already thought of this, but in case you haven't: are you sure it wasn't just that the '8' key on your keyboard (either of them) got stuck down or otherwise jammed? The simplest explanation is often the best one...
    Be careful with sudo! The most damage you can do when not root is destroy your life's work, which should be reconstructable in mere decades; wheras running as root you could damage Ubuntu itself, requiring a reinstall which takes up to half an hour!

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu 14.04 Trusty Tahr

no such thing as that virus!! You are, most likely, having a hardware issue.

cntrl/alt/backspace will give you back your working desktop without a shut down and re-boot

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by SEMW View Post
    I'm sure you've already thought of this, but in case you haven't: are you sure it wasn't just that the '8' key on your keyboard (either of them) got stuck down or otherwise jammed? The simplest explanation is often the best one...
    I second that.