Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Journaled file system, writable from Ubuntu and Mac Os X?

Beans

Journaled file system, writable from Ubuntu and Mac Os X?

I am dual booting Ubuntu and Mac OS X,. The problem is that ext2 partitions have to be unjournaled to be writable in OS X and HFS+ partitions have to be unjournaled to be writable in Unbuntu. Now but every time I go back and fourth, i have to wait for my my unjournaled partitions to be rechecked. Is there a journaled file system, that I could use, that is writable in both OS's?
    iMac 27" running Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and Ubuntu 12.4 (Precise Pangolin)
    iMac G4 running Mac OSX 10.04 (Tiger)
    HP Pavillion running Ubuntu 8.04 (Hardy Heron)
    Mac Expert, Linux User, Windows Virgin

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Re: Journaled file system, writable from Ubuntu and Mac Os X?

ext3 should be writable from OSX (though it has been giving trouble recently).

ZFS is probably a good solution to this, but I don't think it is supported in Linux quite yet because of license restrictions.

http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com/
    http://zfs.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/downloads

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    ext3 should be writable from OSX (though it has been giving trouble recently).

ZFS is probably a good solution to this, but I don't think it is supported in Linux quite yet because of license restrictions.

http://zfs-on-fuse.blogspot.com/
    http://zfs.macosforge.org/trac/wiki/downloads

both ext3 and ZFS are read only on Mac OS X
    iMac 27" running Mac OS X 10.6 (Snow Leopard) and Ubuntu 12.4 (Precise Pangolin)

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu

Quote Originally Posted by 2cute4u View Post
    both ext3 and ZFS are read only on Mac OS X
    I have written to ext3 from OSX before. The driver is just not reliable.

Also, the driver I linked to for Mac seems to imply that you can write to a ZFS volume.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by cyberdork33 View Post
    I have written to ext3 from OSX before. The driver is just not reliable.

Also, the driver I linked to for Mac seems to imply that you can write to a ZFS volume.
    How did you write to ext3?

When you say it's not reliable what do you mean? I need something reliable and stable, that doesn't take hacking to get to work.

Beans
    Distro
    Ubuntu Karmic Koala (testing)

with this utility ext2fsx you will be able to read/write to ext3 from OSX. never heard about lacking reliability. review.

The only thing, I experienced is sometimes it cant read the content of a folder. (I think it's due to journaling. When I open a subfolder deep in the folderhierarchy which I never opened from inside ubuntu there seems to be no content)

Try it out! You could start with an extra ext3-Volume for data sharing and mount /home and / read only for the first time, until you checked if write-support is reliable for you.

//edit: I use 1.1.3. In the recent version 1.4d3 the reading behaviour seems to be eliminated (here)
    A lot of work went into this release (the dir lookup offset caching was a particular pain in the ***), so please consider a Donation (see the Readme).
    Last edited by frog_pilot; May 18th, 2008 at 07:23 AM.

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frog_pilot View Post
    with this utility ext2fsx you will be able to read/write to ext3 from OSX. never heard about lacking reliability. review.

The only thing, I experienced is sometimes it cant read the content of a folder. (I think it's due to journaling. When I open a subfolder deep in the folderhierarchy which I never opened from inside ubuntu there seems to be no content)

Try it out! You could start with an extra ext3-Volume for data sharing and mount /home and / read only for the first time, until you checked if write-support is reliable for you.

//edit: I use 1.1.3. In the recent version 1.4d3 the reading behaviour seems to be eliminated (here)
    I have ext2fsx installed on my system, that's how I can read ext3 partitions, but they mount as read only. ext2fsx mounts ext2 as read write, but not ext3.

Beans
    Distro

It can also mount ext3 in r/w mode. The only difference between ext2 and ex3 is the journal. osx cant write to this journal but on mounting the volume from within linux, the journal will be recovered.

I am actually writing from OS X.4 to ext3 volume via ext2fsx.

Assume, you know that you can change acessibility of ext-volumes via prefrence panel... whats happennig if you choose to mount the volume r/w? Isnt it possible at all?

Beans

Quote Originally Posted by frog_pilot View Post
    It can also mount ext3 in r/w mode. The only difference between ext2 and ex3 is the journal. osx cant write to this journal but on mounting the volume from within linux, the journal will be recovered.

I am actually writing from OS X.4 to ext3 volume via ext2fsx.

Assume, you know that you can change acessibility of ext-volumes via prefrence panel... whats happennig if you choose to mount the volume r/w? Isnt it possible at all?
    There isn't a selection to mount r/w (that is the default behavior for ext2) there are only 3 options:
    Don't Automount
    Mount Read Only
    Ignore Permissions

All 3 of them are unchecked, and the volume mounts is not writable.

Maybe it's because you are using Tiger and I'm using leopard. or maybe you did something different then you are saying.

Beans
    Distro

ok you are right. mounting r/w is the default setting.

AFAIK ext2fs is for tiger. leo seems to be not supported: bugreport

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast